Is there a solution for the peeling paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This is especially bad by the coasts. Salt in the air corrodes aluminum quickly and any breach of the paint coating allows the corrosion to begin. We finish it as any other panel. But the job is only as good as the integrity of the paint. Once there's a crack or chip, it's over and the aluminum corrosion begins.

Manufacturers have deemed paint coatings to be consumable items like alternators. They have a deemed service life, say 150K miles/ten years. The older oil based paints deteriorated too, though differently. They faded and chalked and wore away. As cars last longer today and tend to look better through their lives, we have these problems. It's unfortunate that Ford put out a product that often peeled paint after three years' use.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I stated, the warranty was changed for all 2016MY vehicles.

Furthermore, the entire process of aluminum panel manufacturing, from the alloy of aluminum used, through the "pickling", stamping and priming has changed start with the aluminum body F150. This was carried forward through the F250-F350 and into the aluminum body Expedition.

No help for Expeditions built prior to 2016MY.

The warranty doesn’t mean squat, we’ve had various 2016 and 2017 owners with bubbling hoods and lift gates. Ford never fixed the panel contamination. It’s only covered for 5 years and they will repaint once. The issue will be back in a year.

In 2017 Ford reprepped and resprayed my aunts 2014 Expedition tailgate for free, but you know it will be back! Little bubbles have already returned on the underside of the lip.

Last edited:

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what is different about how Ford paints the NEW ALL Aluminum body's OR is it just a matter of time tell the whole truck has pealing paint :( .

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is different about how Ford paints the NEW ALL Aluminum body's OR is it just a matter of time tell the whole truck has pealing paint :( .

I’ve seen a couple aluminum F-150s with the bed paint peeling off on the side exposing bare aluminum here in NY. Always where the wheel well trim meets up to the bed where plastic and aluminum make contact. Maybe from trim slightly moving in wind or with truck body panels flexing from various situations then causing paint to bubble and flake.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can't be that reputable if there's no warranty. Limited lifetime warranty is the industry standard.
What area do you live in that this is the standard? No one around here is going to warranty for rust or bubbling or corrosion return. They will have some fancy writing and they might cover stuff like paint peeling, clear coat peeling or fading but they're not going to cover the return of corrosion or rust.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What area do you live in that this is the standard? No one around here is going to warranty for rust or bubbling or corrosion return. They will have some fancy writing and they might cover stuff like paint peeling, clear coat peeling or fading but they're not going to cover the return of corrosion or rust.

Nobody does that in NY either, not even the most well known body and collision shops. Could be regional thing.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I'm guessing. Rust and corrosion once it starts it's just a way of life in the Rust Belt states. Nobody is going to grind it out and repair it again unless they get paid again.

Darn water and oxygen!