2019 Platinium MAX - towing question, total newbie, not a "CarGuy" ;-)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TotalNewbie

Reaction score
So, I just got 2019 MAX Platinium.
It had a towing hitch (with the electrical plu-in on the side of it).
Also, when going to the Menu on the trip computer screen, there is an option for Towing and it's "ON".
Looked at the Manual, and it looks like Towing Package also shows the knob for trailer on the right side of the steering wheel and underneath Manual shows buttons for towing sway control.
I DON'T HAVE THESE TWO.
With that said:
1) Can I tow an RV trailer, if so, is it safe, is it good for the vehicle? How much (lbs) can I tow?
2) What receiver hitch should I get, I see Walmart has them, but they are all different sizes :-O
3) Do I need to get the Towing Package installed? If so, what to install? At Ford? Or car mechanic can do it? How much it'd cost me? (More Less)

Thank you all,

Mike

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I just got 2019 MAX Platinium.
It had a towing hitch (with the electrical plu-in on the side of it).
Also, when going to the Menu on the trip computer screen, there is an option for Towing and it's "ON".
Looked at the Manual, and it looks like Towing Package also shows the knob for trailer on the right side of the steering wheel and underneath Manual shows buttons for towing sway control.
I DON'T HAVE THESE TWO.
With that said:
1) Can I tow an RV trailer, if so, is it safe, is it good for the vehicle? How much (lbs) can I tow?
2) What receiver hitch should I get, I see Walmart has them, but they are all different sizes :-O
3) Do I need to get the Towing Package installed? If so, what to install? At Ford? Or car mechanic can do it? How much it'd cost me? (More Less)

Thank you all,

Mike
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! This link might be of help....

There is a ton of towing information on this forum. You might try the search feature if the link above doesn't answer all your questions. I generally start by limiting the search by checking the search the title box only. Otherwise the response can be overwhelming.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll try to help answer your questions to the best of my understanding.

Yes you can tow an RV trailer. Max rating tow capacity for a non HD towing package equipped expedient is 6,000lbs and I believe 5,800 lbs for a max (need to google the towing guide for your model year). You can tow most single axle trailers that do not have electric brakes. If your trailer has electric brakes you will need to add a brake controller (you can add the factory one to your vehicle and a dealer will typically charge between 300-500 to do so).

You have a class three hitch and it will take a 2 inch receiver.

No need to get HD towing package installed (not at all cost effective) your just limited to a lower towing capacity then the HD package would allow (6,000/5,800 vs 9,300/9,000 for standard/max expeditions).

If you want to add parts to better carry or tow heavy, start with upgrading front and rear sway bars and sway bar end links (hellwig for the bars). If you have non CCD (adaptive dampening suspension) purchase bilstien 5100 series shocks to replace the poor quality OEM ones. You can run a standalone trans cooler but will need to have a trans shop quote you that work. You can regear the front and rear differentials (if you have 4x4) to 3.73 gears and then have the PCM reprogrammed for new final drive ratio.

This is a lot of work and will tally into the $1,000s of dollars.

It’s up to you to decide what you feel comfortable taking on or if upgrading parts is even worth it to you.

Please keep in mind non of my advice in any way shape or form will increase the maximum tow rating for a non HD tow package equipped expedition. If you exceed the max ratings and are involved in an accident you may be held liable for exceeding the manufacturer max rating for your vehicle.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You need the round 7-pin "Bargman or RV" connector on the back of the truck on the right of the receiver to tow anything more than a small utility, boat, or UHaul trailer. 4-pin connector does not have brakes. You also need a brake controller which is included in HD Tow.

Maximum towing capacity is in the Owner's manual and has been ~6,000 pounds "forever" without Max Towing option which also includes the 7-pole connector, an easy way to determine of Max Tow is fitted. Factory Max Tow capacity is typically ~9200 pounds.

Ford towing guide will show what's in the Max tow package. You should be able to access the "build sheet" for your truck with your VIN -- someone here probably has the site. HD Tow varies by model year and some years, but not all, include 3.73 axles.

-- Chuck

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need the round 7-pin "Bargman or RV" connector on the back of the truck on the right of the receiver to tow anything more than a small utility, boat, or UHaul trailer. 4-pin connector does not have brakes. You also need a brake controller which is included in HD Tow.

Maximum towing capacity is in the Owner's manual and has been ~6,000 pounds "forever" without Max Towing option which also includes the 7-pole connector, an easy way to determine of Max Tow is fitted. Factory Max Tow capacity is typically ~9200 pounds.

Ford towing guide will show what's in the Max tow package. You should be able to access the "build sheet" for your truck with your VIN -- someone here probably has the site. HD Tow varies by model year and some years, but not all, include 3.73 axles.

-- Chuck
2018+ models have the 7-way and 4-way connections from the factory, regardless on if they have the HD tow package or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire