Is this engine noise normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not well versed in 3 valve engines, but that does not sound good. Distinct metallic clanging. If my speakers are an accurate depiction of what is there, then I'd pass for sure.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Difficult for me to hear with the wind noise but you may want to research cam phaser issue(s) with the 3v 5.4.

OP
OP
B

brandon.martin

Reaction score
The sound is only at idle, and sounds like can phasers. Thanks guys! Gonna go look at a 2005 limited with 130k tomorrow

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're mechanically inclined you can swap the phasers yourself. I paid $300 for all the timing components for our 4.6.

king.Brad

Reaction score
They are asking the high end of trade in value, offer $4500 that's the low end of trade in value on kbb

By the way the truck blue books for $10,500 suggested retail so that should tell you there is probably something wrong with it, maybe a salvaged or lemon title or some serious mechanical issues. Just watch out, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

E36Graduate

Reaction score
I've had 5.4 3 valves for a long time but probably not long enough to have phaser noise like that........however I've had the phaser noise from about 30k all the way to 100k...again not as loud but enough knock/wrap that it sounds like a main bearing issue.....

Offer $4k. Either fix the noise or just drive it into the ground?