It’s racking my brain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deobloexpo

Reaction score
Ok so this is gonna be a little long but here goes. The wife and I purchased a 08 expo this past summer with only 90000 miles on it. We looked at it, test drove it, and then decided why not let’s get it. It ran ok for the first 1000 miles but that’s when things started to go airy.
First is a studdery vibration while driving. It only happens upon acceleration and at or around 55 mph. So we figured out that by turning the OD off it stops doing that. Weird right!
Well we drove it for another 400 miles or so while doing that. Thinking no biggie.
We were wrong, next thing you know the car all but completely shuts off and has no power to it. Crazy clunking noise coming from the front of the motor. Upon diagnosing it we found out that the timing chain tensioners had broken. So we fixed that problem. Got it back out on the road and the shuttering/vibration thing was still there just not as evident. Weirder!
Ok so here is where I get to our issue. The 4wd apparently never worked and we didn’t really check that before buying it. Goof up of ours that we are paying for now. So I have been trying to figure out why it doesn’t work. Checked all the fuses and they are ok. Looked over the solenoid actuator/ lines and all and it seems to be ok. Next I went to the 4wd drive motor. Thinking that it wasn’t working and from what other posts I’ve read those things go out all the time. So I took ours off and before spending the rather large amount of money for a new one I would test the old one to make sure it truly is bad. So I applied power/ground to it and it rotated like it should or least the way I think it should. Ok so that’s good moving on.
Here is where I’ve developed another problem. I reattached the motor back to the tranny and thought everything is ok. Came off easy goes back easy. Wrong! Now the traction control is on and won’t go off. And the vehicle drives as if it’s on and is on slippery roads. Urghh! Thinking that when I put the motor back on i didn’t have the thing set back to where it original was and have caused it to think it’s doing what it’s doing.
Any suggestions as to how this can be resolved?
Also I had a buddy of mine help me on this part. Before reinstalling the motor I plugged in back in and had him turn the switch in the cab to see if I have a bad one of those. It only rotated the motor when put in 4low and not the other options.
Can the switch be half faulty or no?
And from a post I read on here from another member having 4wd issues, he fixed his by replacing a faulty actuator. Do you all think that could be the thing that’s not working correctly?
I’ve heard that it could even be the 4wd module.
I could really use some helpful advice to these issues as the wife and I are expecting our third child any day now.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may want to drop your pan and change your tranny fluid and filter, sounds like the friction modifier is wearing out in the fluid which is usually what causes that stutter and vibration. I believe 08 was Mercon SP fluid. that's what I purchased to when mine was changed recently. Not sure on the rest.

OP
OP
D

deobloexpo

Reaction score
you may want to drop your pan and change your tranny fluid and filter, sounds like the friction modifier is wearing out in the fluid which is usually what causes that stutter and vibration. I believe 08 was Mercon SP fluid. that's what I purchased to when mine was changed recently. Not sure on the rest.

Ok I’ll give that a shot thanks man

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the shuddering, change the tranny fluid as JExpedition recommended. It works virtually every time someone has that problem.

For the 4WD issue, first confirm the front isn't engaging. Get all four wheels off the ground, put it in 4HI and see what happens.

OP
OP
D

deobloexpo

Reaction score
For the shuddering, change the tranny fluid as JExpedition recommended. It works virtually every time someone has that problem.

For the 4WD issue, first confirm the front isn't engaging. Get all four wheels off the ground, put it in 4HI and see what happens.

I will definitely do both and see what happens. Thanks

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I don't quite get the popularity of low-mileage used vehicles, especially on a fairly proven chassis...

Sounds more like you got a lemon that spent its days in shops or under a tarp, rather than a garage queen.

Sucks that all these problems dropped in your lap when you're expecting a baby soon and surely have plenty of better things to worry about than sorting out a truck...