Just changed out original spark plugs, 180k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcloven

Reaction score
my gap gauge only goes to 85 thousandths and most of the plugs were well past that. surprisingly, still ran fairly decent
raw

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my gap gauge only goes to 85 thousandths and most of the plugs were well past that. surprisingly, still ran fairly decent
raw
Thanks to one coil for every plug nowadays. It boggles my mind how long they last now but they actually start wearing out from day one.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize we're the non-stuck generation of 5.4s (purportedly), but was there any challenge removing them (other than the ladder!)?

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize we're the non-stuck generation of 5.4s (purportedly), but was there any challenge removing them (other than the ladder!)?
If it was on the '08 that's mentioned in his sig and he didn't encounter any problems then I'd say it's likely that he did the appropriate preparation before attempting the removal.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With other cars I've learned to wait until misfire (plug or coil) then at that time do all plugs, and if on a rear bank of a transverse - do all coils in the back as well. Any reason I should change with my '011? It sounds like access is not bad and there is limited benefit to changing them early. Thoughts?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With other cars I've learned to wait until misfire (plug or coil) then at that time do all plugs, and if on a rear bank of a transverse - do all coils in the back as well. Any reason I should change with my '011? It sounds like access is not bad and there is limited benefit to changing them early. Thoughts?
I would change ALL of them at 50k miles or less. I change mine every 30k miles. they slowly erode your MPG's and HP from day one. I find them easy to change and the stealers charge way too much. Your 2011 has the new style plugs anyway.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And you berated me for doing engine oil analysis to extend intervals, save money - saying it was a waste of money - all hogwash. Now you're talking about blowing hundreds of dollars at least twice as often as needed? You're a funny man - talk about wasting money!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And you berated me for doing engine oil analysis to extend intervals, save money - saying it was a waste of money - all hogwash. Now you're talking about blowing hundreds of dollars at least twice as often as needed? You're a funny man - talk about wasting money!
Sorry about the oil analysis posts, I wish I never wrote those even though I doubt if they are worth getting 90% of the time. As for the plugs; that whole operation costs me $45 and about 1 1/2 hours time max but I keep forgetting not everyone was a mechanic..............sorry.

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apology accepted. I think you may have missed that when I do plugs, I oftimes do coils as well - they can get pricey.