Just saw an advertisement for a barebones F150 XL... for 40 grand before fees and taxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this the new normal???

Or do I live in an area with especially brazen crooks????

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prob option 2. Here in Buffalo the dealers can't give away bare bones truck without 4x4. They end up being sold for low to mid 20s with the deals. 40k will get you an XLT with 4WD and power equipment group. I do think Ford is going to have sales problems with the new expy though at 51k. I have a few people in my family and know other people who have bought new ones over the last few years and they all basically say the same thing about the expys new price point. They all say Ford can kiss their a** and that they'll never even consider it. A lot of people view this price point as an insult. I agree, when someone bought one in 2014 loaded and now it's the same price for a base trim. Good luck with that Ford....

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prob option 2. Here in Buffalo the dealers can't give away bare bones truck without 4x4. They end up being sold for low to mid 20s with the deals. 40k will get you an XLT with 4WD and power equipment group. I do think Ford is going to have sales problems with the new expy though at 51k. I have a few people in my family and know other people who have bought new ones over the last few years and they all basically say the same thing about the expys new price point. They all say Ford can kiss their a** and that they'll never even consider it. A lot of people view this price point as an insult. I agree, when someone bought one in 2014 loaded and now it's the same price for a base trim. Good luck with that Ford....
There will always be someone to pony up to the bar with cash or get financing. I had this discussion with my salesman, and he said, he's seen it before. People coming in looking at the Expedition will steer towards an F150 at a lower price with the same options. Many don't need the 3rd row - It's nice to have, but most of the time I don't need it. A pickup with a small bed on the back and a cap will do most of what the Expedition will do, although, I still like my EL and I'm not really afraid of the price of a new one, not that i'll buying a new one anytime soon.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the mid gen facelift of the F150, the navigator got me hard till I saw the transmission controls, but I'd be down to pick up a new Expy if I had money lol.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys forget.... dealers who mark up F150s +50% will likely be trying to pitch the new Expys for $75-90k

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Expedition is not a nitch market truck, just because you have the money doesn't mean the clients who bought this truck for the last 20 years have it. I know their cost of manufacturing hasn't doubled in ten years. Ford also isn't willing to negotiate like GM. You go in on a LT for 62,000 say, you can walk out the door easily with $10,000 off that price if not more if you get GM discounts. Seen it a million times, Ford is beginning to think these are made out of gold and pixie farts. They should offer a base expy with a price point in the low 40s IMO, for people who need the capability and are willing to sacrifice the tech. I'd take back my 07 before I spent that. My dad pays $880 a month on his F-250 I think he's insane for it. People will be paying $1200 a month for these expys, overwhelmingly people can't afford that but for a few.

Last edited:

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my money, I want a V8 ... I'm just not excited about twin turbo added compression in a motor spinning twice as fast. Physics says this combination won't hold up as long, no matter what the advertisements tell us!

However, the idea of a 2018 Expy Platinum Max for a mere $75K makes me think I'd be better off with a 1966 Suburban for $800. Sheesh ... who can afford these things today?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate to state the obvious here, but nobody is paying full MSRP for an Expedition. Also, my guess is the vast majority of buyers will be trading in a something, preferably a Chevy that has some equity it it. How many people are suddenly finding the need for a 7-9 passenger SUV? Very few. Furthermore most should be putting a small stack of cash down, they say 20% is standard. A very small percentage of buyers are financing the full purchase price, so $1K/mo payments are going to be rare.

If we were to get one, I'd expect my Expedition trade to fetch $18K. I'd match that with cash down. On an $80K MSRP loaded up 2018 I'd haggle it to $76,500 and with $36K cash down & trade I'm financing $40,500. On 4 year note with a decent APR I'm at $900 or so a month. If I am comfortable with $1K payment she is paid off in closer to 3 years.

Anyone paying $1200 a month for an Expedition either doesn't have trouble with money, or they seriously have some money trouble.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people can't afford $900 a month that's not a deal lol... the difference between Ford and GM is what you stated, while Ford will negotiate $3,000 off GM would give you $11,000 off... they win in my book simply because they WANT to sell you a Tahoe and will cut the price way down if that's what they have to do to get you in it. Ford will tell you to walk out their door and never come back.