Just spent $4,000 on a new audio system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I probably paid twice what I should have, but it's not easy finding a place that is close, does good work, and fully warrantees every part of the install.
Here's what I got and what it cost:
-$450 Front Door Speakers - Hertz High Energy
-$450 Rear Door Speakers - Hertz High Energy
-$450 Pioneer 4 channel amp for door speakers
-$1250 Pioneer Head Unit - 6 Disk in dash, GPS, DVD player(w/screen), Ipod/USB connect, Mp3 player, Memory Card Reader, and more
-$350 Backup Camera to go with Poineer head unit
-$500 Cover Entire Vehicle (except floor) in dynamat extreme
-$200 Cables and lots of adapters
-$400 Installation
-$400 Sales Tax

It's getting installed as I post this. I will take pics when it's finished.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sub? Or are the door speaker "bassy" enough?

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was hoping the door speakers would have some decent mid bass, but they don't which is was the only disappoint I have (besides bass the sound is really clear and gets loud without any distortion). I didn't go with a sub because I always fill up the cargo space in back and couldn't afford to lose any room. I used to love bass and feeling the seats vibrate with the music, but the big bass with subs just isn't a high priority for me anymore and I rather hear the higher frequency's.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not to sound like any jack ass or anything but did u ever turn up the bass on the factory speakers i know they couldnt be that weak,hell i got a 99 expo and even though i upgraded my sound system my factory 4-speaker set up did quite well at the time but i do know what you mean about growing out of the bass faze.i love my subs and all but sometimes i think i coulda spent the money on something more important.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not to sound like any jack ass or anything but did u ever turn up the bass on the factory speakers i know they couldnt be that weak,hell i got a 99 expo and even though i upgraded my sound system my factory 4-speaker set up did quite well at the time but i do know what you mean about growing out of the bass faze.i love my subs and all but sometimes i think i coulda spent the money on something more important.

The bass on the factory speakers are better than the new ones I got, but improving bass wasn't my goal. It was to get perfectly clean sound at even the most extreme volumes, and that's what the hertz speakers do. In other words, I like to listen to music loud, and the factory system doesn't get loud enough for me nor does it have any sound quality at high volumes. Also, all the money I spent on dynamat really helps to keep the good noise in and the bad noise out.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you could hide an 8 or 10 inch sub in the rear trim (opposite from rear AC), to at least give you some bass. I listen to metal, and like sometimes feel the double bass. Wish I had 2 10s in there, but the one 10 does the job.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure you could hide an 8 or 10 inch sub in the rear trim (opposite from rear AC), to at least give you some bass. I listen to metal, and like sometimes feel the double bass. Wish I had 2 10s in there, but the one 10 does the job.

That's what I wanted to do but there's just not enough depth in there.. maybe 4 inches at the max. Anything put in there would not have enough air space and it would be a rattle nightmare. That is where I put my amp though so it's hidden. I've had my car broken into twice to have my subs stolen... another reason for not having a sub.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bass on the factory speakers are better than the new ones I got, but improving bass wasn't my goal. It was to get perfectly clean sound at even the most extreme volumes, and that's what the hertz speakers do. In other words, I like to listen to music loud, and the factory system doesn't get loud enough for me nor does it have any sound quality at high volumes. Also, all the money I spent on dynamat really helps to keep the good noise in and the bad noise out.

i totally understand,i have heard that dynomat is over rated.what you think??

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i totally understand,i have heard that dynomat is over rated.what you think??

The dynamat works very well at reducing rattles and keeping road noise out/ your music in... the only thing is that it's very expensive. There are many dynamat knock-offs, some that perform just as well at half the price. Audio stores only carry dynamat though because, like most things, you can charge more for a name brand product. I could have saved a lot of money buying everything online, but then if something goes wrong I can't just drive down the street and get it fixed/replaced for free that same day.

Last edited:

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holly shit $4k on a car stereo system......I'm speechless. I hope it's everything you wanted an more. And I complain about the cost of an ipod.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev