Just started: Low idle/misfire/stall on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardline

Reaction score
This just started happening on Tuesday. On cold starts (<10F), the engine will not idle steadily, is misfiring, and stalls. It will continue to do this until it warms up a little bit. It is behaving as if it is partially flooded, as I can smell raw fuel and revving the engine will eventually clear the problem. No codes stored in any device aside from the instrument cluster complaining of an SCP databus error. It has popped that code since I bought the vehicle in 2015. Not sure if it is a failing CHT, or if there might be a sticky or leaky injector.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
prob plugs and possibly a leak in the manifolds...how many miles?

OP
OP
H

Hardline

Reaction score
162k, plugs and coils changed 15k ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hardline

Reaction score
Iac is commanded to 100% right after the cold start, so either the valve is restricted or the egr valve is opening uncommanded.

OP
OP
H

Hardline

Reaction score
No fuel trim problems, not a vacuum leak

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bottle of fuel system cleaner (Gumout with REGAINE) did WONDERS for mine after a plug change. Spend the fifteen bucks on this and if you see major improvement, then you have a carbon buildup problem, which is very common in these Tritons with mileage. Well worth the fifteen bucks and you won't hurt anything by trying it!

OP
OP
H

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm suspecting a FPDM problem or a pump problem. I notice that the pump whines a LOT louder when this is occurring. When I get a decent weekend with nothing going on, I'll drop the tank and inspect the pump assembly.