K&N Air Intake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeggsy

Reaction score
View media item 6292Hello Forum,

I am new here, so if this has been addressed previously, please excuse me and point me in the right direction!

I have a 2013 Expedition Limited, and have added a K&N 57-2575 Air filter to it. Now I am having issues with the engine running lean, acceleration problems and sluggish performance/cavitation sounds in the 60-70mph range on the highway.

My question is if anyone has experienced this before and have found a fix without taking off the filter. Or know of a workaround in general. For example, would changing out the OEM Mass air sensor for something a little more capable help or no?

Here is a little info on the air filter from the K&N website.

Product Specifications
Estimated Horsepower Gain 11.04 HP @ 4600 RPM
Air Filter Color Red
Air Filter Height 6 in (152 mm)
Air Filter Material Cotton Gauze
Air Filter Outlet Shape Round
CARB EO Number D-269-48
Clamp Material Stainless Steel
Clamp Style Regular
Clamps Included 6
Couplers Included 2
Intake Pipe Color / Finish Black
Intake Pipe Material High-Density Polyethylene
Product Box Height 10.5 in (267 mm)
Product Box Length 35.5 in (902 mm)
Product Box Width 13.25 in (337 mm)
Product Style 57 Series FIPK
Replacement Filter RC-5173
Street Legal In All US States Yes
TUV Approved (Europe) No
Type Gen II
Weight 11.3 lb (5.1 kg)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the filter sitting in a box to separate it from the engine heat while driving? If not, you have a hot air intake instead of a cold air intake. Cold air is denser than hot > has more oxygen available.
Put the oem setup back on and see if the problem is still there.

OP
OP
Skeggsy

Skeggsy

Reaction score
Stamp (Aka Holly)...

Yes, I installed it in the box it came with, wondering if it is shedding filter oils onto the mass air sensor

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did not have any issues like that. I wonder if the air flow sensor was damaged in some way. Does it run better if you unplug it or are there any codes?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
This is a ford technician I follow on YouTube, he has a lot to say about reusable filters

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had a member that had a drivability issue, after installing his transmission, and found out he installed his maf sensor reversed. Check yours or just reverse it if that's possible. On a carbureted vehicle you have to re jet for a K&N filter, your SUV should reprogram itself for the leaner condition, and adjust itself. It won't be as good as having a tuner at a shop recalibrate it, but it should be close. Is this a cone replacement that sits in the stock location? Like Stamp quoted, that's not good, an open cone filter needs to be out in a fender, or somewhere where a cool charge of air hits it. Heat is the enemy of incoming air for a internal combustion engine. I mounted a K&N on my 86 Mustang years back. In a word it sucked! It was in the engine compartment not a fender mount. I lost low end power, most of the mid range too. I ended up putting back on stock box with a Ford filter. By the way, years back a top mechanic that built high performance engines, tested all the filters, and found that Stock Ford flowed the best, even on Chevys and gave the most horsepower without having to re tune. The K&N filter flows the best, but sometimes has to have the fuel trim of the vehicle richened to run proper. Let us know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run K&N filters in place of OEM on all our vehicles including our off road toys. (Even my '85 Mustang GT) I don't alter the OEM intake from stock, just replace the element. Never ever a problem. My new '16 Expy had a K&N within a week of owning the truck....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oem replacements work fine. It's the cone tube ones that you need to mount properly. I also had a 85 Gt, last of the carbureted 5.0's. His problem is probably location, or install of Maf sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk