Killed my cig lighter - help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewtoy

Reaction score
Hi,

Was adding a USB port to my expy, when I touched the wired to the cig lighter, and heard a pop and saw a spark. Put in a new fuse, but it did not come back. What else can I check to get power back to it? Fortunately, nothing else seems to be affected.

I should have disconnected the battery, I know, it was a stupid oversight...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The actual socket is $2-5 if you buy aftermarket. A genuine Ford part is $10. If you fried it, just replace it and consider it a very inexpensive lesson.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be better to have the wiring diagram for that circuit. You check the tabs on the top of the new fuse for power then start checking at the connectors in the circuit as you head back towards the battery or towards the cig lighter depending on where you start.

See the sticky in the electrical section for the proper method of fuse testing. You would be surprised how many pull it out, look at it then move on if it isn't blown. Only thing about that method is it doesn't tell you if the fuse is powered.