Larger Tires on Original Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eurolux

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1999 5.4 EB 2WD (rear air bags) with the factory 16" x 7" rims. The truck is not lifted or modified in any way. I would like to switch out the current tires (255/70-16) with a tire that, isn't necessarily wider but, has a larger diameter still using the factory rims that would fill out the wheel wells a few inches but won't cause rubbing issues. Any suggestions?

I went to Discount Tire and also asked at Costco and both places told me they would not be able to install larger tires, other than the standard factory size, on the rims due to safety liability. What do you do in this situation?? Take the rims off the vehicle and take just the rims to the installer?

The vehicle is used for around town and freeway driving, no off roading.

Any help/suggestions/photos would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• EXPEDITION TIRES 2.jpg
    EXPEDITION TIRES 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 12
  • EXPEDITION TIRES 1.jpg
    EXPEDITION TIRES 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can install larger tires on stock rims. I don't know the largest you can go without rubbing, but whatever size it is you'll be perfectly fine installing them on there.

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
Big dawg if you're in Raleigh I'm sure there are plenty of places that will install larger tires. Just got to find a more independently owned place. Could always take a little trip west to Pittsboro and come to the shop I used to work at. They'll install anything you'd like haha. I've seen plenty of people running 315s on stock wheels so I don't think you'd have any problems.

rjrodney

Reaction score
Been running 265 75 16s forever here on 4x4 XLT 2000. Not a lot taller but noticeable for sure. Expy 2x4 rides a bit lower though, not sure it will work when turning the wheels to the limits. Maybe you can convince yourself it’s ok or not by measuring clearance with the wheels cranked left and right.

racing roman

Reaction score
I have a 02 4.6 2WD, completely stock and just put 265 75 16s with zero issues full turn to full turn.

Slowly updating it. It was my fathers and now he’s too old to drive so he gave me his truck.

Attachments

• 15F0700D-5756-40C0-AC76-35BB327E7E92.jpeg
    15F0700D-5756-40C0-AC76-35BB327E7E92.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
E

eurolux

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I inherited mine from my Dad several years ago after he passed away. He loved it and I am trying to look after it as best I can. I love driving it, it's one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.
Have you noticed any difference in gas mileage with the larger tires? I am averaging around 14.7 mpg right now with the stock tires. It has just under 240K miles and I drive it with a very light foot!
Thanks again.

Capn Don

Reaction score
Can't positively speak about 2WD, but we've run 275/75 16 tires on my wife's 98 4X4 without any rubbing issues for over 2 decades.

We got the same line of bull from Discount tire also about the rims. The odd thing is we already had the 275's on the truck and were looking to replace them. Sounds to me like a convenient way for Discount to sell a set of wider rims along with tires. As previously mentioned, check out other tire dealers in your area.

For rim fitment information check out the tire manufacturer web site or look at tire rack.com. They have info on approved rim sizes from the tire manufacturers.

Capn Don

Reaction score
OOPS, I mistakenly wrote the wrong size in my post above. My wife's 98 XLT 4X4 has 285/75-16 tires on original rims. They are BFG All terrains. I've attached a pic of the truck as outfitted.

Attachments

• Foley's Fords 1.jpg
    Foley's Fords 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19