Leak when raining...beneath dash by brake release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iknfixit

Reaction score
We had a 2011. Same thing and place. is the vehicle parked at a slight slope towards the passenger side? Ours would only do it at my wife’s work in short heavy rain storm and I could never simulate in my driveway with water hose. Finally hooked up a hose and drug it across parking lot to the spot and ran water across the entire door and saw it dribbling from the bottom of door panel and videoed. Took it to dealership and showed them the video and they tried to no avail to duplicate with door panel off. I made the technician put a jack under the left side of the vehicle to simulate a 3 inch lift/slope and it showed up coming out of the plastic sheet behind the door panel around an opening.
The door drain worked well and the Expy was only a year or two old. Somehow with the slight slope there was enough water seeping in around the bottom window seals and trailing down the inner panel of the door and dripping, running the threshold and showing under the parking brake. After that trip to the dealer they sealed a little on the plastic sheet behind the door panel and it never did it again. Ended up trading it for a 2016 with the ecoboost The wife loved the one in my truck and had to have the power.

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
If the lower edge windshield support clip breaks off (age... fatigue ...) it will leave a hole at the lower corner of the windshield, right above the brake release. You have to remove the windshield cowling to inspect the area. If you find the clip broken or missing use some sealant to seal the hole. You'll probably break the retaining clips for the cowling but you can buy replacement clips on Amazon. You can also do some investigating by laying on the driver's floor and looking up under the dash while someone else runs a water hose in the suspected area. You might be able to actually see where it's coming in from.

-Mike
Thanks Mike! I wonder if that is the cause. I had the windshield replaced last year. No cracks, but it was pitted after 12 years of driving. I removed the cowling a couple of years ago to fix a break in the washer fluid line that led to the windshield sprayers. I had purchased some of the retaining clips for the cowling, but I could never get the cowling and the clip to unite without breaking the clip.

I'll order some more, remove the cowling, clean all of that out and look for that hole you mention. I appreciate the advice!

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
We had a 2011. Same thing and place. is the vehicle parked at a slight slope towards the passenger side? Ours would only do it at my wife’s work in short heavy rain storm and I could never simulate in my driveway with water hose. Finally hooked up a hose and drug it across parking lot to the spot and ran water across the entire door and saw it dribbling from the bottom of door panel and videoed. Took it to dealership and showed them the video and they tried to no avail to duplicate with door panel off. I made the technician put a jack under the left side of the vehicle to simulate a 3 inch lift/slope and it showed up coming out of the plastic sheet behind the door panel around an opening.
The door drain worked well and the Expy was only a year or two old. Somehow with the slight slope there was enough water seeping in around the bottom window seals and trailing down the inner panel of the door and dripping, running the threshold and showing under the parking brake. After that trip to the dealer they sealed a little on the plastic sheet behind the door panel and it never did it again. Ended up trading it for a 2016 with the ecoboost The wife loved the one in my truck and had to have the power.

I used to have that problem at our last house. I parked the Expy on a slope nose pointing down, and that was when the first leaks ever occurred. Those turned out to be due to a clogged sunroof drain, and I ended up blowing that drain out with compressed air about once every 18 months or so.

Now it's parked on a flat surface but under trees. I keep a cover on it most of the time, but I know dust can get through and clog that drain. This time, I verified the drain was free, so the issue isn't with the sunroof (for once). I am going to try to do some more investigating this weekend or next. It's such a bummer because otherwise, this car has been a tank. You can't beat it down!

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
I have this issue in my truck. If you have a sunroof, check the drain on the driver side. Mine is plugged up and that overflows into the pillar, then down to the floor. Took out my blinker relay this summer.

Hope that helps.
Hi Wolf! Yes, the clogged sunroof drain :). I am quite familiar with THAT. Have to clean that out about once a year. She used to be garaged but is now parked outside, so that makes it worse, even with a car cover. Maybe I should just cover her with a HUGE plastic tarp???

This time, I know the leak isn't from a clogged sunroof drain as I've verified it's open. I was concerned the drain tube MIGHT be leaking, but when I ran colored water through it, no colored water ended up INSIDE the car (only below). Someone else suggested there's a clip below the windshield and under the cowl that might be broken and allowing water to enter. I am planning to check that this weekend.

Thanks for the info. I know misery loves company, so I am glad to know I am not the only Expy owner who deals with a clogged sunroof drain. This SUV has been such a great vehicle that I can forgive a clogged drain once a year!

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
One area to check is the rubber accordion-style conduit that runs between the LF door and the A pillar (by the door hinges).

The conduit is a press-fit into the door and A pillar, and if dislodged or not a tight seal, it can leak water running down the A pillar, into the interior (near the LF door scuff panel). If the conduit is torn, water can enter and flow into the LF footwell. Inspect the conduit for tears or rips.

Squeeze the rubber conduit where it attaches to the A pillar and see if it is firmly seated (and not dislodged). There may be dirt and debris buildup under the conduit lip, which would permit water entry into the LF footwell.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a check. I've removed the weather stripping in a few spots and have been amazed at the amount of gunk behind them...it's just dirt working it's way in over the past 13 years!