LED Light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A ton of research & testing goes into air openings - sizing, location, etc. The 2018 Expedition has the largest active shutters of any vehicle on the road today. That said, there is no way in heck I'd go and block it for any reason.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A ton of research & testing goes into air openings - sizing, location, etc. The 2018 Expedition has the largest active shutters of any vehicle on the road today. That said, there is no way in heck I'd go and block it for any reason.

I would suggest that it would only matter when towing 9200lbs in Death Valley at 120 F at 2pm.

I doubt the cooling capacity is used running around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest that it would only matter when towing 9200lbs in Death Valley at 120 F at 2pm.

I doubt the cooling capacity is used running around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These were my thoughts... I wouldn't think that only blocking 18" of this opening would effect the cooling especially with the enormous grill the Expy has.

carid

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Installing an LED lightbar is quite a good idea to improve the light output. Here's what they did to the 2018 Expedition SEMA project:

018-ford-expedition-baja-forged-adventurer-lge-cts.jpg

The short light bar is placed on the bottom part of the bumper.

If you put one or a pair of shorter lightbars, they would block less air. Plus you can mount the light bar right on the bumper surface, not necessarily in the vent opening.
Usually LED lightbar sizes start with 5-6 inches.
Also there are dual row and single row configurations. View all available options on this page.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to make clear, that light bar setup is on what looks like a modded xlt without the dap. I wouldnt put the bar in the same location if you have dap becuz theres a sensor there. I was thinking about about putting one in the space underneath the grille where it meets the bumper, however i dont think that wpuld go well when time for turn in when lease is up

BlackedOutMax

Reaction score
Blocking the opening in The grill isnt going to do anything to cooling. You’re not gonna see a drop in performance or in mpg. If you believe blocking an air flow opening in a grill is going to damage your vehicle than you are highly misinformed.

I even went as far as to remove the stupid plastic air dam under my 16 and I’ve seen no difference in the past 15000 miles

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blocking the opening in The grill isnt going to do anything to cooling. You’re not gonna see a drop in performance or in mpg. If you believe blocking an air flow opening in a grill is going to damage your vehicle than you are highly misinformed.

I even went as far as to remove the stupid plastic air dam under my 16 and I’ve seen no difference in the past 15000 miles

You mean the snow bucket between bumper and radiator ? I have been thinking about removing or drilling large drain holes in that thing. Always curious if it would help MPG any on the highway.