license plate light not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rad1978

Reaction score
Ok so I have been fighting this problem for over a week now I'm in the process of changing all my lights to LED, well the license plates were the very last one's.
So when I go to change them I notice that the one on the right was burned out, ok no problem when I finally got the bulb out the socket it was corroded so bad the socket was no longer usable. here is a pic.

IMG_0381_zpsr7ap3xrl.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

So I go to the other one just as bad neither socket works here is were it gets difficult couple of pics of the sockets so u know what I'm talking about.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

So as u can see one plug has 2 black wires and 2 brown wires the other has 2 black wires and 1 brown wire also the lift gate button is tied into this harness as well as seen in the last pic. It appears all the blacks and browns are tied together by the different sockets because the plug going to the actual lift gate only has 3 pins on it a black a brown and a white with a purple strip.

IMG_0388_zpsx68cuhvf.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

IMG_0387_zpslvscbwzo.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

So I find replacement parts thru ford and here is what they say is the replacement/upgrade socket is(this is straight from a ford dealership also the same online when I looked it up.

s-l140_zpsuxaltgkj.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

So now im wondering how the heck am I suppose to rewire this thing it only has 2 wires coming out of it.

OP
OP
R

rad1978

Reaction score
license plate lights

So I start ohming out wires to find what is what well the black wire appears to be the ground as it goes to every plug, and I'm guessing that the brown and white/purple wire are 12v.

So I take it upon myself to rewire the new sockets like this.

IMG_0384_zpsibsrafjn.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

IMG_0383_zpsgotlyxen.jpg Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

I put both blacks together and both browns together on the one plug and and both blacks together on the other plug. I ohmed everything out to check continuity and that is fine. So I go to hook everything back up and nothing no lights lift gate glass button works fine so I think my ground is ok.

Next I check main plug on the lift gate for power across the white/purple wire and black I have 12V so good there but on the black and brown wire nothing, I'm just totally stumped I think I need to check a fuse maybe but nowhere in my manual does it say license plate light fuse? can anybody help?

Oh here is a pic of my ride gots lots of things I want to do.

New Ride Photo by rad1978 | Photobucket

OP
OP
R

rad1978

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram.
So from whats on this diagram it appears that the license plate lamps shares power with the turn and brake lights and all those lights work so I'm not really sure what that means maybe, I have a bad wire?

I guess I'll be checking wire after work tonight thanks for the help I will post my findings.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wire that comes from (A) is the power feed for the left and right parking lights and also for the license plate lamps
The other that feeds the stop turn and hazard lamps they come from a different power source and work from the switches for those circuits

The only thing that all the lights share is the ground connection

Let me know if this doesn't help to explain the confusion

OP
OP
R

rad1978

Reaction score
The wire that comes from (A) is the power feed for the left and right parking lights and also for the license plate lamps
The other that feeds the stop turn and hazard lamps they come from a different power source and work from the switches for those circuits

The only thing that all the lights share is the ground connection

Let me know if this doesn't help to explain the confusion

When u say parking light I'm not sure which light u actually mean. I have a reverse light and a 2 way brake/turn which also acts as my running lights and they both work fine, so does that prove it"s not a fuse and something else maybe bad connection?

OP
OP
R

rad1978

Reaction score
Ok so after testing the harness for the lights I wired it correctly as it will light up with 12v applied, as for the power coming into the harness I took the entire rear panel of the lift gate and everything is taped up nice and tight it runs up the door through the rubber thing into the headliner.
So what I was thinking is just splicing into the taillight power wire and running it to the socket for the wire harness and splicing it in. I'm not sure what else to do I really don"t want to unravel all that tape and wire to track down a bad connection.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your tail light assembly you should see two lamps and the connectors for each of those lamps

One is a two wire connector that should be for a single filament lamp That is the reverse lamp.

The other connector should have three wires and goes to a lamp with two filaments in it One filament is for the stop/turn light the other filament is the park or running light the wire color for this circuit is Violet/White This is also the circuit the feeds the license plate lamps which would be the brown wire.

If you pull on your parking lights and have power to the vi/wh wire that is the wire you want for the license plate lamps

OP
OP
R

rad1978

Reaction score
In your tail light assembly you should see two lamps and the connectors for each of those lamps

One is a two wire connector that should be for a single filament lamp That is the reverse lamp.

The other connector should have three wires and goes to a lamp with two filaments in it One filament is for the stop/turn light the other filament is the park or running light the wire color for this circuit is Violet/White This is also the circuit the feeds the license plate lamps which would be the brown wire.

If you pull on your parking lights and have power to the vi/wh wire that is the wire you want for the license plate lamps

Yea I just put load resistors on my turn signals last week so I know I'm getting power to the running lights I think I will just splice a wire from the running lights and zip tie along the factory wire to the license plate light I will let u know how it works thanks for all your help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT