Lift options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend as far as some cheap suspension upgrades? I'm not looking for anything huge, just something to fit my 35s a little better. I'm a rock and trail guy so I'm not looking to have my truck sitting 10 feet off the ground. Just want a lift that's gonna give me a few inches of height to help clear my tires with plenty of flexibility for the trails. Also, when I hit the trail I don't joke around, I get down with my truck, I take things that would make some men **** themselves, so if there's any weak links in the suspension that you guys would recommend upgrading to a heavier duty piece (if available), let me know.

Thanks guys =]

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you have a 1st gen, we have the largest amount of options when it comes to lifts since we have a solid rear axle. The cheapest lift that most people do is get 2 or 3 in spacers to put on the rear coil springs. They are cheap off of ebay where most people get theres. I am going to do mine this summer, so I'm not sure which ones everybody gets, here is a set one guy on the site is getting
http://fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=172
As far as the front end, if you follow your torsion bars (the long bars that come out of the back of the lower control arm) to the to where they stop at the cross member, there will be a bolt that comes out of the bottom on each bar. You can tighten those bolts up and that can get you 2-3 inches. More people will chime in and tell you exactly how to do it. I think with the TT (torsion twist), rear spacers, and a 3 inch body lift you can fit 35s on your truck, but it might rub.

OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have the torsion bars tightened up already, I did it for a temporary fix but it stiffened up the front suspension a lot and I heard it can cause suspension components to wear down quickly and also break axles easier, so I was hoping to find an alternative. as far as the rear, I'll probably just go with the spacers.

and its a 99 4wd with 35x12.5s on stock 17s btw

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always wondered how much extra wear it puts on all of the suspension, and I'm sure its more than when set at factory, but lots of people on here have it. I'm not sure of other options than getting a lift kit, you would have to talk to the people that already have lifts, and see what they do or don't like about their lifts.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go with a 2 inch body lift because the three inch is too much In my opinion. then a 2 inch rear spacer and do a torsion crank of about 1-1.5 inches and get extended shocks!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
with the 2" bodylift... you will have to make custom bumper brackets so they look right with the 3" they come with the kit

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^good call. i just said it because a neighbor had a 2inch on his f150 and it was beastly

OP
OP
N

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing though is that the place that I'm rubbing is on the frame. The body lift wont help me clear that. If I get wheels with a different backspacing do you guys think I could get rid of the frame rub? If yes, what backspacing would you recommend?

junior73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing though is that the place that I'm rubbing is on the frame. The body lift wont help me clear that. If I get wheels with a different backspacing do you guys think I could get rid of the frame rub? If yes, what backspacing would you recommend?

If you get a wheel that has negative offset, it will push the outside lip outside the wheel well. If I remember right, the factory wheels are +44, which pulls them into the wheel well, and closer to the frame. A negative offset will push them further out, and away from the frame.

Here's a good calculator for the offsets:

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp