Lifting 99 Expo! Need advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryce541

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've done some looking around on this forum and have seen quite a few nice lifted Expeditions. I just got mine (first vehicle, I'm 16) and i am really interested in lifting it.

I think i have decided on a 7.5 inch Fabtech suspension lift. I have a '99 XLT. Does anyone have experience with this lift? Any problems? Also, will i need anything other then the lift kit itself? I plan on getting wheels first so that is already out of the way.

Sorry if they are stupid questions. Thanks for all the help guys!

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've done some looking around on this forum and have seen quite a few nice lifted Expeditions. I just got mine (first vehicle, I'm 16) and i am really interested in lifting it.

I think i have decided on a 7.5 inch Fabtech suspension lift. I have a '99 XLT. Does anyone have experience with this lift? Any problems? Also, will i need anything other then the lift kit itself? I plan on getting wheels first so that is already out of the way.

Sorry if they are stupid questions. Thanks for all the help guys!

IS the Expy 2wd ? cause that kit is for that . if it's 4wd then 6" kit

OP
OP
B

bryce541

Reaction score
It is a 2WD. And I wouldn't dare try it in my garage. I barely have clearance now!

I also had a question regarding body lifts. Everywhere I look there seems to be mixed feelings on body lifts. Some people like it just fine an others say its awful. But most lifted vehicles I see have both suspension AND body lifts. Can body lifts have a bad effect on the truck?

I appreciate the feedback guys. Hopefully I can get this going about Christmas time :D

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problems with my Body lift , I've bought Fabtech's 6" lift for my 4wd and kit looks good, it would look better if I'd find time to put it in:idiot:

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First.. check your state's lift laws. You don't want to put a ton of work into it and run afoul of Johnny Law your first day out of the driveway.

With body lifts many times the 'kits' aren't complete. When you lift the body away from the frame, you may need to extend anything that goes into the body from the frame/running gear. Wires, cables, shifter levers, EVERYTHING may need to be extended.

With a body lift also you now have all the weight in the body now being carried by only the body mounts and the handful of bolts holding them in place. This is a much larger issue with a pick-up truck rather than an Expy, but the idea remains.

Then there is the gap between the frame and body after a body lift. They can look pretty tacky if its large. Some folks will put fillers into the gap to cover it up.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you buy the Performance accessories Body lift... all extensions are included. They also make gap guards to hide the gap ... about $80.

Body lift Without gap guards

SANY1327.jpg

Body lift With gap guards

IMG_0726.jpg

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Bryce, I have installed the 7.5" kit on an F-150. The kit was pretty completely. Nothing left out that I could tell. But, if you are doing this yourself and it is your first kit, plan on having the truck down atleast 2 days. If you know what you are doing, you can get the lift done in 12 hours. If not, you are looking closer to 18 hours to install. Also, the driver's side rear is going to make you cuss up a storm. In short, the factory installs 1 bolt such that you can't get it out unless you drop the gas tank. Option 2 is to cut the head of the bolt off (but now you are buying a new bolt). Your call. When I did the lift on my truck, I cut the head of the bolt off as my kit came with new grade 8 bolts (but that was a Rancho kit for a 4x4).

Something else to ponder is finding a truck with a lift on it already. I am looking to sell my Expy and it would sit as tall as what you are looking at doing and I am already running 37x12.5" tires. Mine is also 50 state legal (used to do a lot of moving around, so, I ensured I would be good).

OP
OP
B

bryce541

Reaction score
Lane24, what body lift do you have? Looks good! But if I'm planning a suspension lift also should that be done first?

Whowey, thanks for the info, it helped!

Thermo, thanks for the install info. Would it take up to 12 hours if I take it to a shop? But I'm sure the cost to have someone else put it in will be absolutely ridiculous. Should I just dive in myself? Considering I have no idea what to do other then the instructions.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I picked the right forum to join!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjuststeven