Lifts for dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdglide

Reaction score
I'm a newbie so forgive me. I know there's a ton of posts/questions about lifts and I've looked at a lot of them but not finding what I'm looking for. I have a 97 expedition eb 4x4 that I want to lift and put on some fairly aggressive all terrain tires. The only off road driving I do is some dirt roads in the mountains or on the beach. It would be great if the pictures I've found would give specs like lift and tire size, etc. I tried to attach a couple of pictures I found online that shows what I'm trying to accomplish. Curious what the best and economical way to get there is. Any info appreciated

Attachments

• 6e5316693f35f923423b1907e4e9bbbc.jpg
    6e5316693f35f923423b1907e4e9bbbc.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 53

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like mine. 4 inch Rough Country for the F150 in the front and some 3 inch spring spacers in the rear.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheap lifts are BAD IDEAS.

to properly lift any vehicle, it is thousands of dollars, because it is not as simple as it sounds. You dont just put bigger shocks on, there are dozens of parts that rely on the height of the suspention from the rest of the truck (Drive shaft, control arms, steering stablizer, etc).

A good lift will have a hundred parts, and will take more than a few afternoons. Spring spacers are a terrible idea, they are for people to spend 30 bucks and pretend they have a lift.

As an old XJ (Jeep Cherokee from the 90s) guy, I have seen my fair share of bad lifts. They can do as much as completely separate your suspention from the body, tear apart the drive shaft (most common problem). If you take a look at the prices of XJs, you will see the lifted ones sell for around half the price of non lifted - because of the fact that lifts KILL the vehicle.

These Expys are really not made to lift. The height alone will make you very roll prone offroad.

I cannot stress this enough, there is no such thing as a cheap lift - it will LOOK like a lift, but it will fail if asked to be a lift. Just fine if you never take it off pavement, and do less than 3".

For the same $$ it would cost you to properly lift an expy, you could build an old XJ(or a TJ) out, and tow it behind you.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the Rough Country, it looks like a pretty decent kit. It doesn't have torsion keys- it uses new steering knuckles to get the lift in front.

The whole roll over thing is still a potential. But that's the case with any lift.

$1000 for the lift- which you can only use like half of it since the F-150 has leaf springs.

OP
OP
hdglide

hdglide

Reaction score
All answers appreciated and I agree with you. I unfortunately don't have the finances to do it right, wondering if some good size tires , not sure what the max size tire would be to have a nice wide aggressive look.......I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to tire sizes.....any suggestions with a picture would be awesome