Like a proud Expy father today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned my 99 Expy for about 5 months now and haven't really put any miles on it (probably 800 miles so far). I recently sold a boat and was offered more money to deliver it about 250 miles per way. I was supposed to borrow a truck that I knew would not give me issues as I really haven't been able to test the Expy however that deal fell through so I had no choice but to take my truck. I also was carrying my wife and small kids so that also made me nervous. The boat I was towing was an old Aquasport 240 (24'). It's foam filled and waterlogged so that made things much heavier. But the ol girl got the job done. If I tried to run the AC the truck got a little warm but luckily it's been cool here in Va. in the evenings. We cranked the windows down and had her in the wind. Very happy with the truck even though the 4.6 definitely seemed to struggle to get up the hills. Overall a good trip and to kill 2 birds with one stone we kept trucking down the highway to North Myrtle Beach for a few days. Only wish I could take my truck on the beach. Guess they don't allow that down here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 78

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good story! Nice pics too. Was the self leveling susp able to handle the weight?

RVAEXPEDITION

Reaction score
Were you on I-81? I recently brought a 16ft enclosed loaded from Richmond to Nashville and it was a pain on Afton Mtn and then again on parts of 81. But it never ran hot or anything just burned ALOT of gas haha

OP
OP
D

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck doesn't have the self leveling system. She squatted a little but rode nice for having as much tongue weight as it did (the boat didn't have a motor on it to help counterbalance)

I didn't get on 81. I went from Mathews Va (on the bay) to Wilmington so it was pretty much I95 & I40. Not much for hills.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you on I-81? I recently brought a 16ft enclosed loaded from Richmond to Nashville and it was a pain on Afton Mtn and then again on parts of 81. But it never ran hot or anything just burned ALOT of gas haha

I dont know where Afton mt. Is, but I remember a mountain outside of Charlottsville, VA on
I-64 that was a killer! Towed my 26ft camper over that thing twice and it was not fun. I was doing 45mph at the top with it floored. My 4.6L expy would probably handle it better now since I opened up the exhaust. I used to live in Powhatan, Va until this past January.

Jyates

Reaction score
If you are looking to drive on the beach, you need to check out currituck county nc. Follow nc 12 north and the hardtop stops. Its about a 10 mile drive on the sand to the fence at the va state line. Doesnt cost any thing to get out there. A little farther south, you can get a week pass for $50 and drive out on the beaches of cape hatteras. I recommend currituck though because the beach is wider and easier to navigate. Both are neat places to ride.