Load Range E tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savannah Dan

Reaction score
What PSI are y'all running in your E rated tires.
I just put LT275/65R18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2s on my 2017 and am wondering what the best pressure to run in them when not towing.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on the tire more than the rating, but when empty I'm around 35 to 40 psi.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though it's a harsher ride, I keep mine at 44psi because if my truck is fully loaded that's the load that each tire needs to be able to handle. I'm rarely at full payload but figure it's safer this way. Try and find your tire chart from Michelin (I found my AT2 LTX chart on their website).
I go up to 55psi when towing for stability.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each manufacturer lists their load rating and pressure info on the sidewall of every tire, including max cold pressure. Very few manufacturers are the same. For instance, Meeker stated that he goes up to 55psi when towing. Max pressure on my Michelin Defenders is 44psi. I generally run 42. Bottom line is, check your sidewall for info, and never exceed the maximum pressure that is embossed on the tire.

OpticonBill

Reaction score
Retired tire engineer here. The tire maker has their min-max tire pressure based on the engineering specs of the tire design. The auto maker has their recommended tire pressure, usually on a label in the driver door frame, based on desired auto performance and safety in auto load range specs.

I would go by the auto maker recommendation, since that recommendation is based on vehicle weight and other performance characteristics, in both load and unloaded conditions.

lurch

Reaction score
When not towing, I run the recommended tire pressure on the door jam, 39 PSI. When towing, I will go as high as 65 PSI if I have my travel trailer full of water, the whole family, all of our gear, and it is windy. If the RV's water tanks are empty and I don't expect wind I will fill the tires to 50 PSI.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What opticon said. Optimum pressure is a function of tire size and actual load. Even if a load range E tire might be rated for up to 70 PSI or whatever, that's for an actual E load which an expedition is not designed for. 275/65R18 on an gen 4 Expedition at GAWR is 35 PSI, regardless of the tire.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For daily use I run 42-44 psi cold. Towing I'll air up to 65 psi front and rear cold. 10 ply E rated BFG's with a max of 80 psi. 20K miles on the tires and they still look new.