Long Term Fuel Trim - Rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2003 XLT 4.6. Hello all, I just analyzed my LTFT's with a OBD II scanner and Bank 2 at idle is reading 6% and increases to 12% at approx 3000 RPM, while Bank 1 reads 3% at idle and increases to 7% at approx. 3000 RPM. The car is running rich. There are no DTC codes. My gas mileage is poor. Its my understanding that these percentages should rage from -3% to 3%. In addition, I've got some spark knock on acceleration. I just replaced 2 bad coils that were identified by DTC codes. Any suggestions as to why this is occurring?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to Ford specs, anything within +20 and -20 is "normal" and will not set a DTC. I myself like to see these within +10 and -10, so I think yours aren't that out of wack.. You might want to clean the MAF and check air filter, just to see if you can help it along a little.. :)

OP
OP
Reaction score
thanks for your prompt reply. I cleaned the MAF 2 weeks ago. I understand that the LTFT's are within spec., however, shouldn't there be fluctuation between negative and positive values to average the fuel compensation as close to zero?

Spades

Reaction score
Actually a + value is trying to "add" fuel, meaning it is lean.... probably due to a vacuum leak

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The short term trims should fluctuate positive/negative, but the long terms should adapt to the current conditions, which includes engine condition, atmospheric conditions and so on, and they will be more steady.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ide start with some maintenance items like plugs and an air filter and a fuel filter. Check the vacuum hoses around rear of the intake. They commonly break and are easily replaceable with common rubber fuel hose. Also a suggestion on coils, you can get a new set of 8 for 80 off of amazon, a lot cheaper than 100 for two!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk