Looking for smoked tailight for 3rd gen, cant find anywhere HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMTPJ

Reaction score
I'm amazed there is someone else here from Tooele! Holy Crap, small world! You are correct, black-out is not legal here. Dont ask how I know. Anywho, there are quite a few on Flea-bay that are smoked 3rd Gen. I was just on looking at some actually. I looked for 2011 Expedition lights, and there were plenty.

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm amazed there is someone else here from Tooele! Holy Crap, small world! You are correct, black-out is not legal here. Dont ask how I know. Anywho, there are quite a few on Flea-bay that are smoked 3rd Gen. I was just on looking at some actually. I looked for 2011 Expedition lights, and there were plenty.

are you currently living in Tooele UT?
Know this because of my roomate, he got pulled over for his tailights being 2 dark and he hadent had the car for more than a week so in return the dealer got their inspection licence suspended for 6 months, owners called to thank him for ratting them out, how profeshional is that? oh thats why you stay away from shady 1 man 1 dealer owned dealerships.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checkout...IPCW.com...that's the brand of my current tails...they have black housing

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Freeway I actually like your tailights, not to be a copy cat but i might get the same lights you have, are the 2nd gen and 3rd gen interchanceable?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks Nathanialson...they are interchangeable...but will look different...3rd gen has defined corners where the 2nd gen is rounded...your tails continue the lines of your truck...if you look at MOOTOO's...he has 3rd gen on his 2nd gen...you can see the corners on the tails versus his truck...still works though...not sure if switched it will look as good...

ALSO...your reverse light plug is smaller than ours...so you may not be able to connect it properly...2nd gens have to drill to make the hole bigger to have the socket in there

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks Nathanialson...they are interchangeable...but will look different...3rd gen has defined corners where the 2nd gen is rounded...your tails continue the lines of your truck...if you look at MOOTOO's...he has 3rd gen on his 2nd gen...you can see the corners on the tails versus his truck...still works though...not sure if switched it will look as good...

ALSO...your reverse light plug is smaller than ours...so you may not be able to connect it properly...2nd gens have to drill to make the hole bigger to have the socket in there

I'll look into it but thanks Freeway:headbang:

EMTPJ

Reaction score
Nathanialson, I was born and raised out there, and still live in Tooele. :)

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Freeway I used to have the same problem with not being able to get the glossy finish, I figured out that what I needed to do was wet sanding. I tinted the tails for my friends blazer then did 3 coats of clear. After that I wetsanded them with 2000 grit until all texture was fully gone. Then used meguiars ultimate compound, ultimate polish, swirl remover, then 2 coats of wax. They came out awesome and are perfectly glossy

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guess i just need more practice...but nothing to practice on...

Edmund K

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though this thread is a year old, its information is still priceless today to a newcomer like me. Thanks for posting these great tips and insights, and for sharing pics of your work!

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though this thread is a year old, its information is still priceless today to a newcomer like me. Thanks for posting these great tips and insights, and for sharing pics of your work!

Welcome to the forum, let us know if you have any questions

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett