Looking to buy '19 Platinumn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamusDemus

Reaction score
I found a 2019 Platinum 4x4, 144k miles for $27k. I'm considering getting it.

Going through the carfax, it seems it had it's transmission replaced or worked on at 102k miles. It also had it's cat converter replaced at 120k miles.

It's the weekend, but I'm planning on talking to the Ford dealership that's selling it this week.

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically my opinion of a Carfax report is that it often unfairly generates negative value to a recorded vehicle, and gives dealers (especially) a justification to low-ball their trade offer. it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Carfax was the brainchild of car dealers. The only counter to a Carfax report is to keep driving the vehicle until it reaches the point where having a Carfax ding is negligible. Maybe that's what the previous owner of the vehicle in question did.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only concern would be the mileage vs. the maintenance records. Repairing these models can get very expensive.
With that said, if the vehicle is being sold by a reputable dealer or private individual, is clean, has a great body and paint, and all the features work, it sounds like a decent deal.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the build date and see if it got the newer cam phasers. A change happened in April of 19.

amwoods1212

Reaction score
I found a 2019 Platinum 4x4, 144k miles for $27k. I'm considering getting it.

Going through the carfax, it seems it had it's transmission replaced or worked on at 102k miles. It also had it's cat converter replaced at 120k miles.

It's the weekend, but I'm planning on talking to the Ford dealership that's selling it this week.

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed.
Has anyone on here run their Expedition at that high of mileage? I recently bought a 2019 Max XLT with 58k miles on it for around $30K and it is already in the shop with a transmission issue

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone on here run their Expedition at that high of mileage? I recently bought a 2019 Max XLT with 58k miles on it for around $30K and it is already in the shop with a transmission issue
Mine is getting close to 80,000 and never an issue. It was a 1 owner with impeccable service records, from the dealer. I bought it from the same dealer, as it was a Certified pre-owned. I've driven it 10,000 miles since June 2023 and only had a recall issue.
I wanted a MAX, but the dealers talked me out of them. They said, generally speaking, EL and MAX model owners usually pull big travel and boat trailers, and/or load them up for long trips, etc. So, I decided to go with a Non-MAX model. I don't have any data to prove or dis-prove the statement.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disagree with that dealer's opinion. We ordered a max because we routinely transport young grandchildren. We knew we'd need to use a child seat in the third row and needed the extra room behind the third row that the standard Expedition lacked. There are lots of families that need the seating space and do not have boats or travel trailers.

Luckily, we have a deep enough garage with plenty of room; and if we have any substantial towing needs, we can borrow our son's Super Duty

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is getting close to 80,000 and never an issue. It was a 1 owner with impeccable service records, from the dealer. I bought it from the same dealer, as it was a Certified pre-owned. I've driven it 10,000 miles since June 2023 and only had a recall issue.
I wanted a MAX, but the dealers talked me out of them. They said, generally speaking, EL and MAX model owners usually pull big travel and boat trailers, and/or load them up for long trips, etc. So, I decided to go with a Non-MAX model. I don't have any data to prove or dis-prove the statement.
Curious, was it the fact that they didnt have any MAX models on the lot and didnt want you to leave without a purchase so they gave BS excuses to get you into the standard version? Dealers can be slimey

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious, was it the fact that they didnt have any MAX models on the lot and didnt want you to leave without a purchase so they gave BS excuses to get you into the standard version? Dealers can be slimey
LOL, they actually had several to choose from. And they all had higher mileage than I wanted on a used vehicle. I actually trust my dealer. I've purchased all my personal and fleet Fords from them for decades.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, they actually had several to choose from. And they all had higher mileage than I wanted on a used vehicle. I actually trust my dealer. I've purchased all my personal and fleet Fords from them for decades.
Nice, then u def have a good dealer lol!