Looking to buy '19 Platinumn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After using a rented 19 in standard length, I sure wouldn’t want one. The max is worth every penny.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After using a rented 19 in standard length, I sure wouldn’t want one. The max is worth every penny.
I agree. I only wanted a Platinum MAX, because I was coming from an Excursion.
Unfortunately, the only good available perfect condition Certified one owner MAX models in Platinum were black with black interior. I know that is a popular color, but my Excursion was dark green metallic, and was super-hot, (in Florida). Because of the heat, I was looking for a light-colored model with light interior. I found the one I purchased, a one owner silver spruce metallic with light interior Platinum at Mullinax Ford in new shape with a certified warranty and 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. With all the horror stories here, I played it safe and sacrificed the MAX for the color, condition and warranty.
To be honest, this vehicle is so nice, I'll never pack it with anything other than suitcases. So, the less storage space does not bother me. And the legroom is the same on both. MAX gives 1 more foot of storage that would have been nice, but I don't really need it. Folding down the 3rd row seats gives me all I need.
Maybe I'll be lucky and find a MAX next time.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don’t have kids to haul around it’s not as big of a deal. The other issue is towing. I pull a trailer and those extra 6-8 gallons matter. A lot.

OP
OP
J

JamusDemus

Reaction score
I agree. I only wanted a Platinum MAX, because I was coming from an Excursion.
Unfortunately, the only good available perfect condition Certified one owner MAX models in Platinum were black with black interior. I know that is a popular color, but my Excursion was dark green metallic, and was super-hot, (in Florida). Because of the heat, I was looking for a light-colored model with light interior. I found the one I purchased, a one owner silver spruce metallic with light interior Platinum at Mullinax Ford in new shape with a certified warranty and 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. With all the horror stories here, I played it safe and sacrificed the MAX for the color, condition and warranty.
To be honest, this vehicle is so nice, I'll never pack it with anything other than suitcases. So, the less storage space does not bother me. And the legroom is the same on both. MAX gives 1 more foot of storage that would have been nice, but I don't really need it. Folding down the 3rd row seats gives me all I need.
Maybe I'll be lucky and find a MAX next time.
You know, Mullinax Ford is where I just bought the 19 platinum with 144,000 miles on it. The only problem that I could initially see was there was a power issue when we did the test. Apparently it was a turbo problem and they replaced that before we bought it. I had them do some checking, and the transmission and campers had work done around 60,000 miles in a nearby Ford dealership. I’ve probably put close to 3000 miles on it since I’ve bought it, and I haven’t had any problems. I’m very experienced with previous expeditions, and I’ve been reading so much about the newer models before decided to buy one. That’s why I decided to go with one used. Having 144,000 miles is a little sketchy to me, but my Ford fusion has 260,000 miles and still doesn’t have any problems. The expedition I traded in was a 2009 with 160,000 miles and I was the second owner, it was just having too many problems after years specifically with rust and engine components feeling left and right. I think it was the previous owners maintenance. I’ve put this thing up on a rack myself, I’ve gone through everything I can as close as I can and the transmission and engine issues were my biggest concern. But they seem to be in really good condition and were originally taken care of. Honestly, I’d rather spend a little extra money to repair any other potential engine or transmission issues than the money that I could’ve been dropping into another vehicle. What’s funny is this was actually the third expedition we were looking at, the other two had about 70,000 miles on them, but one of them was so badly rusted underneath that after I pointed it out the dealership wasn’t legally allowed to sell it, and the second one did not feel right with the transmission and engine.