Loss of coolant, possibilities?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
After investigating my leak this is my areas i found failure. Driverside rear of gasket and front passenger at crossover pipe.

20170220_135757.jpg

20170220_135706.jpg

OP
OP
PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
I had it set to 20 ft/lbs. My manual says 18-22 ft lbs for the intake to head bolts, so I figured I'd go in between. Won't make that mistake again. It was a brand new torque wrench.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That shouldn't have broke it. It was a cheap part. I would double check your torque wrench against another just to be sure yours is accurate. Think how fast you get the job done the second time. Don't feel bad, we've all had to redo jobs. It's just part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
That shouldn't have broke it. It was a cheap part. I would double check your torque wrench against another just to be sure yours is accurate. Think how fast you get the job done the second time. Don't feel bad, we've all had to redo jobs. It's just part of the game.

I agree. Definitely part of it. I'll be able to cut my time in half the second go around!

I haven't taken it back apart yet, as I'm waiting for the new intake kit and don't want to leave the heads open for days, but I am curious to see if the brass insert is missing from bolt hole. I would think they are there for that reason, I could be wrong. But that one bolt literally just crushed the plastic.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be. For next time, when your doing a job, and something doesn't look right, stop and find out before something like this happens to you. It never ceases to amaze me that prior owners, or shops in some cases do just the minimum, leaving parts off, or just doing a crappy prep on gaskets, parts. Well what I always did was put it in my head the next day, when I started pulling it apart, that this was a brand new job. It won't be the last time that you'll end up redoing a job. It's just part of wrenching.

OP
OP
PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
That sux so did you have to buy another intake?

Yea. Just bought one off Amazon. I'd rather buy a new one and do it right than try and repair the old with no results. The trucks in great shape and has done me well the past year so it's definitely worth it for peace of mind.

OP
OP
PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide

Reaction score
It could be. For next time, when your doing a job, and something doesn't look right, stop and find out before something like this happens to you. It never ceases to amaze me that prior owners, or shops in some cases do just the minimum, leaving parts off, or just doing a crappy prep on gaskets, parts. Well what I always did was put it in my head the next day, when I started pulling it apart, that this was a brand new job. It won't be the last time that you'll end up redoing a job. It's just part of wrenching.

Agreed. A few extra minutes for gasket/surface prep and double checking doesn't take the time it would to re-do everything.

On another note, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the intake back off. The insert was still there, although it was severely distorted, and the housing part of it completely smashed/cracked. No way it would ever have been able to be torqued right.