Loud Knock coming from the engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris1965

Reaction score
Good evening,

This is my first time doing this so please bear with me. Within the last three days there has been an increasingly loud knocking noise coming from the motor. I have a 4.6 l. The knock gets faster as you rev the engine. There is oil in the motor. I checked the flywheel (as it was offered as an idea. Knocking sound was present when truck was cranked and moving.) Myou next thing to check is taking off the belt to make sure it is not an accessory like the ac condenser, or the alternator. My thoughts lean toward a thrown rod, or the oil pump isn't pumping oil to the engine. I would greatly appreciate any advice given. I fear the worst as this is the only car I have. I need it back running quickly as it is the only mode of transportation for taking my babies to Dr. Appt. and such. Thank you in advance for any and all help you give.

Thanks,

Chris

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

You may want to listen to the bottom end - engine running using a broomstick handle. If it is a rod, you will hear it loud and clear.

No cheap answers if it is a rod.

OP
OP
C

Chris1965

Reaction score
Thank you Stamp. I am new to fixing my own cars. I recently changed the coil packs. But honestly I have no idea what you said. That doesn't ring a bell. Is it possible to say that again in non-mechanic background speak? The knock is loud, and getting louder by the day. I have parked it for now, until I have come to as close as I can to a solution.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are not mechanically inclined, let the truck sit and have a professional evaluate your engine. You might cause further damage.

OP
OP
C

Chris1965

Reaction score
Thank you docraymund. I can turn a wrench, but I didn't understand the lingo he was using. I am not a superior mechanic, but I know enough to keep the truck running. I appreciate your concern, but I am trying to fix it as it is my only mode of transportation. I can't afford to let it sit. Thank you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You listen to the bottom end (crankshaft & rods) while the engine is running at idle with a stethoscope or wooden broomstick handle so that the sounds are amplified. If a rod is knocking it will sound like a very loud hammering compared to the other rods. The "tool" is placed at the bottom of the block where the oil pan is bolted to it. If using the broomstick, place the other end to your ear. After a while the exhaust system will be hot so be careful.
There is a good possibility the crankshaft is shot anyway so as long as it only idles there will not be any catastrophic damage during testing. If you rev the engine it may decide to come apart which will scare the snot out of you.
Since you didn't understand my first reply should you decide to fix it yourself, you will need to educate yourself on rebuilding engines. As a simple mistake will cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Another option is to swap in a low mileage running engine. For that you will need more than basic tool and a level floor to work on. Working out in the field on un-level ground offers additional challenges that first timers should avoid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris1965

Reaction score
Thank you again Stamp. I can hear it knocking loudly now. I do not have to get around the oil pan and wait to hear it. It is already there. If you take a solid stick and hit it on the table as hard as you can. That noise is about the same and as loud and sharp as the motor now. Although to be crystal clear, it is a metal sound. I hope you understand I am not trying to insult your intelligence. I am just trying to be as clear as I can; so that I understand exactly what you are saying. I am aware that an over torqued bolt can break off and do more damage than hitting a cat. I just want to be clear and precise to make sure I understand exactly what you are saying. I have a shop, and more than ordinary tools. They were willed to me. I just never really worked on the block itself before. Brakes, tires, alternators, water pumps.. etc, yes. But internal things were left to someone else. If that makes sense.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No insult taken.

I may be heading to the Norcross Pull-A-Part over the weekend, how far are you from there?

OP
OP
C

Chris1965

Reaction score
I live in Dahlonega. Over an hour away, be the fastest roads I could find. I would love to go, but my expedition is my only mode of transportation at present.