Loud Whine going into 3rd and 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just drove my 03 exp to the Keys, first trip driving that far (5 hours). Both ways, after 3 hours the tranny started making an extremely loud whine as it shifts into 3rd and OD. Seems to be shifting softer into OD now too. It's like a squeal, squeak, whine sound that lasts for 1 second during the shift.

Any ideas?

2 months ago I changed the fluid with the correct type, and new filter. That corrected a badly shuddering Torque Converter Clutch. It's got 155,000 miles on it.

BTW, the factory original knock out plug was still laying in the tranny pan, so the fluid's never been changed until 151,000.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No it doesn't actually, it sounds like I may be about to spend some big money that I can't afford right now.

will_higgins

Reaction score
My 98 just started make a whine when it is cooler temps out side. yes it does sound like a supercharger, which is cool. The sound is coming from my front tranny pump. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine only does it after driving a continous 3 hour stretch on the highway. The sound is a high pitch squeal. After you let it cool off a few hours the sound goes away. I'm overfull by half a quart, I don't think it's nearly enough to cause a real problem.

The other problem I found is that even though I see the TCC engage around 45 mph, it doesn't disengage when stepping on the brake while driving. Strangely enough, it doesn't try to stall when coming to a stop.

Norexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other problem I found is that even though I see the TCC engage around 45 mph, it doesn't disengage when stepping on the brake while driving. Strangely enough, it doesn't try to stall when coming to a stop.

My 04 EB does the same as yours.......IE doesn`t disengage when stepping on brake, and no problems with stalling when coming to a stop. Has always been like that. Are you sure this isn`t normal?

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory service manual says to test the TCC, bring it to 50 mph and lightly tap the brake pedal while holding the gas pedal. You will see a 200 rpm rise when the tcc disengages.... it's not doing that at all, and I'm really sure it was doing that a few months ago.

I hooked up my SCT tuner to the laptop and loaded the livescan software. I could see which gear was engaged and when the TCC was being told to be on/off. I found that it automatically disengages below 40 mph, and disengages every time I press about 1/4 gas pedal to accelerate. But its not disengaging instantly when hitting the gas, so either Ford's own shop manual is wrong or the brake switch is messed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1