Lousy Brake Rotors-Anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spider45

Reaction score
Bought my 05 XLT in October with 33K miles on it. It now has 41K, 3500 of which were the move from FL to OR in January. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a slight shudder in the brake pedal and a shimmy in the steering wheel on light braking. Went to the dealer (i have a big time extended warranty) and the diag was warped front rotors. But i noticed that the rotors were turned at 30K miles. Under the original warranty. They would not repair them under my exten warranty.
I am 62 and do not drive this thing hard or fast. there is no reason i can see that these things would get warped again in 10K miles. Any comments?? Are rotors (Ford) something that there are plenty of complaints about??

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me in my 99 Expy but for me it was the brake pads themselves were warped ( they were brand new from autozone) so i took them back, got another complete set and it all went away.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are very heavy trucks, so even easy driving is enough to get hte brakes hot.

Rotors need to absorb and dissipate heat, and this takes mass.

Turning/machining rotors removes mass, so they'll overheat faster and can either warp or cause the pads to overheat and leave an uneven transfer layer. Either of which can cause the pulsation that you note.

I never turn rotors. Well, I did once, and they developed a pulsation almost immediately.

Most rotor MFRs recommend turning only if excessive runout is measured. But you're better off putting new rotors on IMHO.

I think Ford rotors are garbage and overpriced. I've seen/read way too many complaints about them.

I've been running Brembo rotors (non-vented, non-slotted) to good effect. They are relatively cheap, about $80 each from the Tire Rack online.

I think any quality aftermarket rotor will work great.

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you turn the rotor on the Expy then they'll warp again pretty quick. Spend the money for new ones.

Also, don't go with the ceramic pads unless you have high dollar rotors. The ceramics warp regular rotor awful quick.

Been there, etc....

jsbaker

Reaction score
As others have said you need to upgrade to a better rotor. I had mine turned 2000 miles ago and the shudder is coming back already. As it was told to me the rotors are to small for a vehicle that big and heavy. Told my other half when these go I am buying something that is going to last, Brembo or some other upgraded rotor. I have had a major vibration since mine were turned and it's in the shop now. Kinda hoping they tell me the rotors are the problem.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, you can't beat getting Brembo rotors, and Hawk pads.

Tirerack has the rotors for 80, and I think that Autoanything has the Hawks.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
Apparently, you can't beat getting Brembo rotors, and Hawk pads.

Tirerack has the rotors for 80, and I think that Autoanything has the Hawks.

That's exactly what I run.

I run the Hawk HPS pads, though I've read that some others have used the LTS pads and are happy with them as well.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and depending on how much the cut off the rotors also contributes to the warpage. The thinner the rotors the less heat they will take before they warp again even if you are still within specifications on minimum thickness.....
Matt R

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to try slotted rotors on mine its gonna need new pads soon and there is slight vibration during heavy braking. So that is coming down the road. Anyone have slotted rotors or a valuable opinion on them?