lowe rpms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been having some issues with rpms. It started with a miss fire on 4 different cop's so I changed all of them out. now it doesn't miss fire but when I'm sitting at a stop it drops down to 500 rpm's and if it's in park it just keeps running if I'm in drive it will occasionally die but not always. I had the codes checked and it comes up as a possible maf issue has anyone had this issue and have a recommendation as to the cause before I drop 100 dollars on a new maf and have it not work.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my expedition wants to die or seems like it wants to stall out when I come to a full stop and when im turning the wheel when in drive or in reverse but it never does that when it is in park.
I replaced my old MAF sensor on my 98 expedition it fixed the problem something very similar to what youre experiencing.
my current expedition is 4.6l XLT very soon to be A project vehicle my first vehicle was a 98 EB.

OP
OP
B

bowtex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is the maf from the way it's acting but the codes that were pulled were not real clear

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try it with a new one, if that doesn't work you know it wont be you maf.
one other thing could cause this and that is carbon build up on your entire intake elbow and TB your IAC can effect low RPMs. it doesn't hurt to try that first a tooth brush and some TB cleaner is cheaper than a new MAF sensor.
I had to replace my sensor back in 06 wasn't cheap either.

even those who walk the path to glorious glorious salvation must accept defeat.

OP
OP
B

bowtex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will have to have the cocodes pulled again.
and Its not the build up in the elbow I have a cai I may check the tb but I'm pretty sure it's clean.