Lowering a 4WD Expo, possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Guys just curious, trying 2 do an SVT Thunder clone on my 2000 Expo, but it's 4WD and I've heard due to suspension setup and with the transfer case it's not possible. I've found Ground Force lowering kits, that are 2" drops in front and rear, with rear coils and front torsion bar adjusters and shocks. Stated for the 4WD model.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Gr...-Suspension-Kit-Rear-Coil-Only-_-9954/558105/

I primarily wanna do this for better handling. And 2ndary for looks, since I have a huge wheel gap. I don't wanna slam it 2 the ground by any means. And b4 I do this, I want some input if it can be done, and if it will or won't ruin the transfer case and 4WD? I'm also adding sway bars, for better handling as well. I don't need the clearance, but I do need the 4WD with the amount of snow we get in Jersey. And Turning in 4WD when it snows, is quite treacherous in this truck, always fish tails.

2000 Expedition XLT
4.6L 4WD 104K Miles
Non-Air Suspension

OP
OP
N

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Originally posted by GRIP
you can drop it 2" i did mine and i have no problems

Grip,

What did you use to lower it (i.e.-hardware) and where did you go 2 have it done, or did you DIY? I'm about an hour from Hoboken, did you use a place down there or could recommend a place? I have no prob dropping the truck off and and taking the train back. Looking 4 a quote on rates, b4 the winter. Thanks in advance.

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well when i'm feeling lazy i got to i goto action tire in lodi,nj. they r on rt.46E. i just used eibach spring and bilstin stocks.

but you can got to anyshop around you for the work where r u maybe i know somewhere closer to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Grip,

Hey thanks for all your help. I live in the Hackettstown area. 10 Minutes from Ledgewood, 20 from Rockaway/Denville/Parsippany, bout 45 from Morristown.

Looking to get the suspension kit I posted the link for previously and having it, prof installed, I can do all the engine and stereo/interior work myself, most of the body work as well, but suspension, I'll admit I'm clueless. I'm looking at 2 or 3 interviews, for Desktop Support in Jersey City hopefully. So I'll be taking the train in, but I'll have a better knowledge of the area, I can do Lodi, but if you know anyone, down by you or near Mass Transit, that would help.

Again thanks!!

Attachments

• 0010_mtrp_01_i_pt-c.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 428

mgtsldr38

Reaction score
How about a drop on an expo with the air ride suspension in the back, anyone do that? I was looking into it but Im still not sure if itll look funny with the back up and/or down.

OP
OP
N

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Air Suspension

mgtsldr38

Actually I just saw a Navy with the Air Suspension this weekend, and it was lowered with the running boards, 22s and no body kit, and in the rear I wanna say it sat bout 2"s higher. It's didn't look bad at all but it was noticeable that the rear was higher. Prob cause of the running boards, you could notice it more. But I think it looks a boot more aggressive.

Grip

That kit I'm looking for has shocks included. And the Bilstein shocks I have in the truck now are only 2-2 1/2 yrs old. Just don't recall if they're mono, or dual tube. But I'll prob swap them out, altogether, when I do the lowering.

I want it to look identical to the pic I posted in my last reply, just straight black with no body lines, and stream lined. Just not sure if they shaved those doors, or if they came on certain Expys. I have the trim line through the center that I wanna get rid of and finding door shells is near impossible. Gotta talk to my body guy. And that rear bumper I have no idea, cause you can't see it and the body kits I see are hideous. For me less is more.

Here's another pic.

Attachments

• 112_0604bts_16z+ford_expedition_svt+front_view.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 414

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys the drop you want is easy but the problem is getting the tire to not **** in. i have an 00 eddie bauer on full air. the front i just adjusted the torsion bars to teh ride i wanted. in the rear i used the air ride height adjuster and dropped it all the way down. i have no problems botoming anything out, front or rear. im working on an ide to lose the height sensors and have adjuctment from inside the cab. best about ine is that when the truck airs out, the rear is just a bit lower then the front.

to switch to just rwd go under the hood and pull the 4wd fuse. then no more awd. you could wire a switch useing info on this site or on the web. im running stock rims and tires and tow a jeep and havent had any problems.