Maintenance on 2007 Exp EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear differential you drain and refill. Unfortunately your year doesn't have a drain plug on pan or torque converter like early 4r100, and 4r75/80. Your mileage is low enough that you could have trans flushed. Flushing any trans is a bit of a gamble though, due to particles getting loose in there and causing issues. You can do both on stands if you just want to drop pan and refill. You will only get about 6 quarts out doing that way. If your doing trans drain and fill, check your owners book. SP fluid should be for your year. 2008 they switched to LV low viscosity fluid. They are not mixable, so get the right one.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rod_costa

Reaction score
Thanks Moose - I did look at the dif and was puzzled because it seemed really hard to remove the cover with the IRS in the way. Great info!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Re the plugs, you can certainly do the job yourself. I recommend having the Lisle tool on hand though just in case a plug breaks. You can usually pick up used ones on eBay for half of what a new one costs as most people don't need the tool more than one time.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisle tool on hand is a must since the plugs may be original with that mileage.

Best procedure to avoid breakage is to:

1. Crack all plugs 1/4 turn loose
2. Spray carb cleaner down each plug well and let soak for 20 minutes minimum
3. Tighten snug again by hand
4. Quickly remove and loosen with impact driver
5. Use torque wrench and install new ones manually

Plugs are most liable to break when using socket set and/or slow trigger on impact when removing. You want to remove them fast.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys is their a trick to get his drain and fill plugs on differential off/on.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

chart75

Reaction score
Check the heater hose on top of the right bank. They can leak (or split) and spew coolant into your spark plug holes ruining the coils. The radiator can also drip from the bottom corner on the passenger side so worth taking a look at. Any clunks in the front when you go over bumps? Probably due for new shocks. For the most part they're pretty bullet proof. Sitting at 208.5K right now on ours. Ticks like a windup clock but starts and runs better than most cars with half the mileage. We call it the tank.