Manually turning over engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snozberries

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I was planning on changing the ATF today, and I know that the torque converter holds alot of the fluid. So I read that I need to turn the engine over until the drain plug is accessible through the inspection window on the bottom of the torque converter. I was thinking (hoping) that would be as easy as sticking a 3/4 socket and ratchet on the drive pulley(whatever its called) and just turning the engine over by hand until I see the plug.

Now I'm no mechanic but I am having a heck of a time (cursing/dropping ratchets on my face lol) trying to get the ratchet on the pulley in a way that I can actually turn it. I haven't really been able to get the socket on it, and when I do its in such a way that I can't turn it.

Anyone have any advice? Do I need to remove something? Is there some other way to turn the engine over? I guess i could start and stop it a hundred times and hope the plug just randomly lands in the inspection window but that seems pretty hopeless. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you use a socket on the balancer bolt you should use an extension and a breaker bar. Try to get a 90° angle between the extension and breaker bar before turning.
Another method and to me easier is to use a remote starter switch. Once your underneath and can see the torque converter just inch the assembly around until you can see the drain plug.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Got it.

Now I'm in a new mess. drained the TC and then took the pan off. The fluid was really dark. Went to change the filter and really had to tug on it. It looks like the orange seal from the filter got stuck in the transmission. I tried with my fingers for a while, then needle nose pliers. The thing had practically melted to the metal. ultimately i had to get a razor blade to get it off. It cleaned up pretty well although theres still some orange left. So now I'm worried about that stuff circulating around in the fluid. Anyway so I tried putting the new filter in and it just seems to dangle more than it should.... like its not quite getting seated all of the way or something. is that normal? it stays in the transmission but it just seems like it should go in more.

I'm worried that maybe the small left over residue from the original seal is keeping it from pushing in farther... but like I said I got 99.9% of the old seal out... and i put a lot of pressure on the filter pushing it in to the point I thought anymore would break it.

Are the filters just pretty loose? I just did another car and the filter seemed pretty smug when I put it in so Im just curious if I'm safe to put the pan back on or not.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to get all of the old seal out or it doesn't seal correctly. Don't want to be sucking air here. Filters are not loose when installed.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Okay, makes sense. Thank you. I'll try a wire brush and worst case maybe a dremel with a wire brush bit or something along those lines...

Thanks again

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I got a dremel up there with a brass wire brush and got it all out. Then I took a while making sure I got everything clean again and the filter fit perfectly as it should. Thanks again.

Haha after all of that I put Mercon V in which is what both Ford and the local parts shop recommended. After doing some forum research (should've done that before I guess) I'm starting to think that maybe I should've used mercon/dextronIII since its a r4100. So I may change that out again one of these days. Any opinions on here about Mercon V in the r4100. I've heard some different opinions. A lot of people say its horrible and some say its no problem. I found a ford engineer type on another forum who said that the original Mercon V that came in a red bottle is not good in the r4100 and ford actually came out and said not to use it in a tsb. However Mercon V was apparently reformulated since then and the new TSB says Mercon V supersedes mercon in all previously mercon applications except for transfer cases and a few other applications. Any opinions? My gut is telling me its no big deal but I don't want to risk my tranny on a gut feeling so I guess I'll probably change it.