Me:1 exhaust manifold:0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kicked my leaky manifold's butt. Started at 530pm, finished at 830. Started out with the back two nuts broke off, one more broke off while disassembling. Welded a few nuts on, heated the rest, a dousing of pb blaster, and she's all done and leak free. Didn't have to remove starter or mess with motor mounts. Used stainless studs and nuts and lots of antisieze. Dorman manifold and gasket. I've been dreading this job for a week, but everything went way smoother than expected. Just wanted to share my experience (and brag a little!)
e7913b99b1f202874cab7e61f64798ca.jpg

d8eba5d6b961fd93651ba74806cc5aa4.jpg

036927cc22375da1380fae60f5e49828.jpg

OP
OP
thenaaks

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah. Had to pull them once i started welding nuts. Kept catching on fire :)

Edit: i guess i put them back in to clean up the head, but they did come out later. I learned that lesson doing some plumbing work. Had a rag in a sink drain line. Hooked up a new trap assy and forgot to pull the rag. It managed to get stuck in a fitting about 2 feet down the line. Had to cut pipe to find it. No fun!

Last edited:

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dang man nice job! If I was better at welding I would try to do it myself but I for-see myself accidentally welding to the head...

OP
OP
thenaaks

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A mig welder and a self darkening helmet help a lot. Since the head is aluminum, you can't actually weld to it, but I'm sure you could burn it up if you had really bad aim!

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice job. I want to put headers on mine, but I'm not real motivated by that type of work.

NickChick

Reaction score
Great work! I need to get to mine eventually. But its one of those jobs i'm never motivated to do.. lol

jxg1205

Reaction score
ok, I am going to be really ignorant, and ask how hard is it going to be to get the old nuts/bolts/studs off?

My '00 expy with the 5.4l has developed major holes through the manifold and I have temporarily jammed JB Weld in there, hoping it passes inspection on Monday. At least half the nuts seem rounded from rust, and it looks impossible to get to a couple of them on the passenger side. Is there a good write up somewhere that shows how to attack this job? I have the fender well plastics all out for the JD Weld patching, and am ready to soak the nuts with PB Blaster, but that does not seem like it will be enough.

thanks

Last edited: