Metra Harness issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm installing a JVC DVD player into my 2000 EB with the Mach sound system, rear sub and rear audio controls.

Crutchfield sent me the Metra 70-5517 harness. I am reasonably certain I wired the JVC harness to the Metra harness correctly. The only thing I haven't double checked is if the colors aren't supposed to match up like they seem to on every other vehicle I've done.

I tested the harness last night and I get audio to the front speakers, but not the rear. And I put the fade all the way to the rear and definitely didn't get any audio so I'm pretty sure the front speakers are wired correctly.

I can skip the Metra harness completely, my soldiering capabilities are actually pretty good, and hardwire the JVC harness to the truck's harness, but the wires on the truck side of the plug don't follow the same color coordination as the JVC/Metra harnesses.

I saw this thread:
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f45/trying-figure-audio-wiring-out-pics-28179/
(claims to be for a '97) and my plug doesn't seem to match up to either one of those (in Post #4).

Does anyone have a 2000 specific diagram?

Or do I have the wrong Metra harness?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure u check all ur settings in the head unit to ensure ur rear aren't cut off due to a selected sound output...I can use studio...cinema...surround...theater...etc and the rear won't have output

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked my harness. It looks good.

My Haynes manual has a wiring diagram. The factory harness uses its own colors but using the diagram I can match it up to the Metra harness. Everything checks out.

I decided to plug the factory radio back in. No rear speakers there either.

Does the Mach audio have individual amplifiers for the front/rear/subwoofer? Could I have screwed up the amp for the rear?

Or could they have been not working all along and the sub just made me not question that?

Or when I removed the rear control panel from the system (to install my inverter), could that have been when the speakers stopped? According to the Haynes diagram, the rear control panel is in parallel so removing it shouldn't cause an open circuit.

Guess it's time to pull the door panel and Ohm it out.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I tried Ohming it out, but got nothing (as I suspected). I ran new wires to each door.

Now I have all 4 speakers and the sub playing!

Beautiful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire