Middle Console in 2nd Row Gator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know if it can be taken out?

One cool thing about the new QX80 is the middle console can he removed temporarily if need be.

Handy place for a cooler every once in a while :).

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

One cool thing about the new QX80 is the middle console can he removed temporarily if need be.

That’s a cool feature, does the qx80 also have controls for stuff like the Navigator?

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not sure if it can be "taken out" Our 2012 Burban you could unbolt it from the floor. I know there is an option to order without the console and there are 2 different 2nd row consoles.

OP
OP
Garrett

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s a cool feature, does the qx80 also have controls for stuff like the Navigator?

Nope, just console, which is why I assume it can easily be removed. Would be cool if the Gator could also, and you could snap a cover over the hole, store wiring, etc.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, just console, which is why I assume it can easily be removed. Would be cool if the Gator could also, and you could snap a cover over the hole, store wiring, etc.
Agreed. We may have opted for the console if it was something that could’ve been removed easily. In a few years our two boys will probably need something to separate them and the console would work well for that. I had a late 90’s grand caravan and the ability to move seats around or remove altogether was so nice. If the middl console was easily removable and replaceable with the middle seat making it able to go from bench to console to 2 seats no console I’d opt for that hard core! I’m a sucker for versatility.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. We may have opted for the console if it was something that could’ve been removed easily. In a few years our two boys will probably need something to separate them and the console would work well for that. I had a late 90’s grand caravan and the ability to move seats around or remove altogether was so nice. If the middl console was easily removable and replaceable with the middle seat making it able to go from bench to console to 2 seats no console I’d opt for that hard core! I’m a sucker for versatility.

Me too, thats the holy grail, a removable middle seat in an Expy (or Suburban for that matter). They seem to only do this in minivans.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this epuld be a good idea but it would be hard to execute. Older trucks used to be paned for their removeable seats being clunky and heavy, it would be a repeat of those old critical comments. It would especiallly be hard for middle row seats to be removed since that space would be harder to access in a wider vehicle.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this epuld be a good idea but it would be hard to execute. Older trucks used to be paned for their removeable seats being clunky and heavy, it would be a repeat of those old critical comments. It would especiallly be hard for middle row seats to be removed since that space would be harder to access in a wider vehicle.

Well I was actually thinking of a removable middle seat that is actually an innovative design. Something like what the new Chrysler minivan has where the entire seat folds quickly and easily right into the floor. How cool would that be? They wouldn't have to do it for the entire bench of every row, just the 2nd row and middle seat. Wow, that would be so cool.

Whichever company (Ford/GM) makes that first, they'll definitely take some extra marketshare with families. They should put that design challenge up on line and offer it up with a reward. I bet some university student could solve it!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I was actually thinking of a removable middle seat that is actually an innovative design. Something like what the new Chrysler minivan has where the entire seat folds quickly and easily right into the floor. How cool would that be? They wouldn't have to do it for the entire bench of every row, just the 2nd row and middle seat. Wow, that would be so cool.

Whichever company (Ford/GM) makes that first, they'll definitely take some extra marketshare with families. They should put that design challenge up on line and offer it up with a reward. I bet some university student could solve it!
I think the drive shaft is in the way for a seat folding into the floor.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed on the drive shaft comment, theres no space while keeping the trucklike capability of the vehicle. if any of the manufacturers were to do that, it cant be a body on frame design because space would be too much of a premium and unit bodies help with space utilization.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX