Misfire/ poor running Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick8102

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer that just is running poorly if you floor it, it wont rev over about 3000 rpm and runs rough but if you ease the gas the truck can rev up and runs decent

Any ideas on what this could be? I was thinking an o2 sensor or maybe an injector this sound like a good place to start?

OP
OP
N

nick8102

Reaction score
I will be getting them very soon I was just checking to see if its something that was super obvious before I do a code read on it.

Also as a side question does anyone know where to get pre bent brake lines for the eb? Mine are rusted out all the way back

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say start with the COP's and spark plugs if you are not going to pull the codes. Just in case you didnt know, Autozone, O'Reilly's, and pretty much any parts store in general has a code reader you can use for free. Post the codes back here and it will be just as good as taking it into a shop.

OP
OP
N

nick8102

Reaction score
Thanks, I have a code reader from a buddy just gotta get the truck to my shop to use it, also the biggest thing that worries me is that this is a bad vale/ lobe on the cam does this sound at all like a possibility?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks, I have a code reader from a buddy just gotta get the truck to my shop to use it, also the biggest thing that worries me is that this is a bad vale/ lobe on the cam does this sound at all like a possibility?

Mechanical issues are far less common.. Generally vacuum, ignition or fuel related issues.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could of blown a plug. I'm not sure when they updated the heads but originally their was only three threads into the aluminum to hold the plug and they've been known to blow out. You can timesert it for a nice permenant fix. I've never done one but I hear its not to bad of a job. Just follow directions.

OP
OP
N

nick8102

Reaction score
With the lack of threads in the head should i be very worried as i put the new plugs in?
Also with the blown plug how will i be able to tell? Will it simply look like a stripped block?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when my (#3 passenger side) puked just over 2 years ago, it blew the cop off (sounded like a shotgun went off) leaving plastic pieces everywhere and unfortunately the plug hit the fuel rail and ricocheted then repositioned itself back inside the original plug well ontop of the piston....yeah who'd of thought that could happen & not have an explosion, but the borescope didn't lie.

cracked the head leading to a complete rebuild as I had 147,774 at the time of failure. funny thing is it didn't throw a code, but made one heck of a racket sounding just like a blown head gasket.

This was the second plug change, first @ 47,724 back in Monterey, CA, and the second here in the South @ 132,660 due to a misfire on #5 by CEL.

Vortech literature recommends changing plugs every 50,000 miles to maintain peak performance of the Super Charger and it was pushed approx 35,000 over the change periodicity, so the puked plug may have happened even sooner perhaps had I changed around 100,000.

PanHandler.

Attachments

• 147,774 Plug Blowout.jpg
    147,774 Plug Blowout.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 197
Last edited: