Mods for cheap or free

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been reading about mods for my first gen expedition. Gotts Mods and air intake silencer removal. Is there others that can be done for free or cheaply.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank You for that tip.

Personally I wouldn't gut all 4, otherwise you will have a check engine light. Gut the two big ones (regular looking ones), or even better cut them out and place straight pipe in their place. They are worth about 150 bucks apiece due to the precious metals inside.

However that is comparable to just cutting out your muffler...

So what is considered cheap in your book? To me cheap is anything under 100 bucks, but that might not be to you. My grille LED's are pretty sweet and cost me about 40 bucks all said and done. I replaced my grille with an all black one ($65 shipped). Plasti-dipped all chrome pieces for about $20 total. Gott's was about 10 bucks. Mud flaps were about 40 bucks. Rubber floor mats were about 30, but those are well worth the money. Nice to just be able to hose them off when they get dirty, and if you live where there is snow, no more wet carpet! You can lift it 3 inches (roughly) with some spacer and a torsion bar twist for about 100 bucks depending where you buy the spacers. Pull the running boards (free!) to create the illusion of a lift. That is what I did...

Hopefully that gives you a place to start anyways. Also depends on your style too.

Last edited:

TexasAngel34

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree with fordandpolaris.. depends on you.. i cut out my rear cats and added a diff muffler then the stock , bought harley headlights for less then $100... fog lights $75 .. new harley grill 2 set for $80... mossy oak seat covers mats, steering wheel cover $40... added hood scoops $20 at the junk yard...

joecrotch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crank up the torsion bars, Do the 4" flang homemade spring spacers for the rear and you have a almost free lift kit. $40 dollar inverter at Harbor Freight and hard wire it to battery for on board 110v power. X2 on the Plasti dip all the chrome (I love the way it looks especially the rims!). There is lots of free or cheap mods to do just use your imagination. Decide what your rig is going to be for and start making mods to reach your goal! GL!