Moonroof cover not closing all the way; adjustment possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pw1981

Reaction score
My moonroof cover used to close all the way. Now it leaves a slight gap at the front which, depending on time of day and cloud cover, makes a noticeable light area still visible.

I typically only open the cover in the early morning, evening, or nighttime and keep it closed when parked or during the day because it’s Florida.

Is it possible to adjust the cover so it will slide that last maybe 1/4 inch needed to block the light? It used to cover it, and at some point it stopped doing so. I’ve tried sliding it manually, but that didn’t work.

I attached a photo showing the small gap.

Attachments

• 045F70F4-E81C-4375-82CD-5A928E44C5D7.jpeg
    045F70F4-E81C-4375-82CD-5A928E44C5D7.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 21

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My moonroof cover used to close all the way. Now it leaves a slight gap at the front which, depending on time of day and cloud cover, makes a noticeable light area still visible.

I typically only open the cover in the early morning, evening, or nighttime and keep it closed when parked or during the day because it’s Florida.

Is it possible to adjust the cover so it will slide that last maybe 1/4 inch needed to block the light? It used to cover it, and at some point it stopped doing so. I’ve tried sliding it manually, but that didn’t work.

I attached a photo showing the small gap.

You may want to post the year of your Expedition, as there may be a repair for a specific year.

There was a TSB for 2018 Expedition models regarding the sunroof.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd try that re-program/learn thing these moon/sun roofs have. Let me see if I can find that video for you. I did it myself over a year ago & forgot the button pushing sequence.

Deep8174

Reaction score
To me, it looks like there is a curve on the headliner. If you push the headliner up slightly, will that gap disappear?

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
You may want to post the year of your Expedition, as there may be a repair for a specific year.

There was a TSB for 2018 Expedition models regarding the sunroof.

Mine is a 2018. I am not sure why my signature isn't showing up where I had that listed. Sorry about that.

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
To me, it looks like there is a curve on the headliner. If you push the headliner up slightly, will that gap disappear?
No sag that I can see. Pushing the headliner doesn't seem to make any discernible difference.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no, its not a sag or a curve or anything. You just have to recalibrate it. Mine does it all the time. Its kind of a process, but that vid above spells it out pretty clearly. I'd also recommend the specific lube for all the seals while you're at it. Amazon has it. Its expensive but makes everything work better.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no, its not a sag or a curve or anything. You just have to recalibrate it. Mine does it all the time. Its kind of a process, but that vid above spells it out pretty clearly. I'd also recommend the specific lube for all the seals while you're at it. Amazon has it. Its expensive but makes everything work better.
Is this the stuff?
Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2S0GB2QNFKQDEHFKZ1PD