More 4x4 woes....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First snow and first time trying to use 4x4 since last year and it didn’t do crap. No codes, says it’s in 4x4. I haven’t used it in anything serious since I dropped the tranfer case off for the torque converter job so everything was disconnected. Vacuum system is working correctly on command. Hmmmm wonder if it’s electrical or hard parts related. Everything is attached and plugged in. I thought I heard the shift motor working but I’ll catch closer tonight. I’ll update as we go. Symptoms are only 2WD when in 4x4 high or low range. No 4WD anywhere. No codes or bad lights on dash and truck thinks all is well...

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First snow and first time trying to use 4x4 since last year and it didn’t do crap. No codes, says it’s in 4x4. I haven’t used it since I dropped the tranfer case off for the torque converter job so everything was disconnected. Vacuum system is working correctly on command. Hmmmm wonder if it’s electrical or hard parts related. Everything is attached and plugged in. I though I heard the shift motor working but I’ll catch closer tonight. Really hoping I don’t need to buy a new transfer case, but the computer thinking all is well is a bad sign and usually a hard parts failure. I’ll update as we go. Symptoms are only 2WD when in 4x4 high or low range. No 4WD anywhere. No codes or bad lights on dash and truck thinks all is well...
If it was working before you worked on it it will be fine with a few tweaks.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I switched it back and forth several times and tapped on it and the shift motor started working. I think something is sticking in the shift motor from sitting for 7 months. There is a video I recall where someone pulled the plate off and cleaned inside. Have to try that. Supposedly dirt and crust gets inside and messes it up. At least I have it for now.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checking the prongs and dielectric grease is probably a good idea for the shift motor connector in the salt belt....all I’m gonna say here lol. Check these connections first if you have issues because you’re likely to find it fast.