Motor purchase advice, opinions, ideas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopsieze

Reaction score
Looking for opinions from you guys that have more experience (or intuition, lol) than me. I'm planning to replace the 4.6 in my 03. I found 2 wrecked trucks that seem like decent options.

1) an 02 F150 that has a Romeo with PI heads, I know there will be minor mods that will come up but it sounds to be in good condition: 139,000 miles. Owner purchased it 7 years ago with 100,000 miles from the state (so I assume well maintained) and claims he kept up on all oil and filter changes the 39,000 he had it. He also did the plugs, pretty much all new front end components and flowmaster mufflers. Sitting wrecked since January.

2) an 03 Expedition with 120,000 miles. It was brought to his shop wrecked and was just left. Repo company won't pay to have it released so he went through the county and has a certificate to sell as parts but will never be able to get the title. He's had it for 2 years and said he's been rebuilding cars for 30 years and "can guarantee" it's not an abused vehicle. The question is who knows what kind actual maintenance was done. That's not bad miles for what I'm looking for but if the oil was never changed... He said if he could have got the title he would have fixed it and kept it. The nice thing is it would be a direct swap and have any spare part I need. It is 4wd vs my 2wd

Both are PI motors and asking $800 for complete, wrecked trucks, they are over an hour from me but each would deliver (for a fee).

Do I flip a coin?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
I guess the other question is does anyone have an opinion on an 02 (cast iron) vs 03 (not sure if aluminum or not like mine) 4.6? I guess the 02 has a lightweight crank/rods but haven't researched how much difference it really makes.

The main thing I'm worried about in any of them is what condition the timing chain guides are in...

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
What is wrong with your current engine?
Couldn't find a miss. Did plugs, COP, rebuilt injectors, replaced a couple sensors... after all that the motor quit visually it's slight shake but still misses under load. Hunted for vacuum leaks, I didn't get to the EGR but it started knock/ticking somewhere on the upper, drivers side of the motor. I assume it is "head" related and originally thought I had a motor that would work for $250 but it is not a PI motor.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The PI motor looks good. Just do a compression check on all cylinders and inspect engine oil for signs of metallic deposits. Spares would be nice.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What ever engine you decide on, inspect the valve train. If there is a problem with the lubrication system it will usually show up on the cams and lifters as excessive wear - deep scratches on the surfaces.

A compression test is advisable as long as you can get the plugs out without them snapping off.

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
What ever engine you decide on, inspect the valve train. If there is a problem with the lubrication system it will usually show up on the cams and lifters as excessive wear - deep scratches on the surfaces.

A compression test is advisable as long as you can get the plugs out without them snapping off.

Good advise.

I know ultimately I would want to check all cylinders but maybe I could at least check the easy to get to plugs, carefully. I don't know if they would be ok with me tearing into the motor like that before I buy it. The f150 guy said he will deliver it this week for $700 total but he wants to know this week.

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
I would plan on doing tensioner & chains on either of them. Common wear item that is much easier to do before you stuff the motor back in.

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Ended up getting the 03 Expedition and it seems to run well and will inspect it closer like suggest once pulled.

I pulled the bad motor this weekend... need to figure out how to support the tranny so I can move it since it's blocking everything. Next will be finding the time and energy to pull the good motor out of the parts truck.

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Waaaaaaay back when, I took the engine out of my Scout Traveler at the junior college. Same deal, needed to move the truck. Or at the very least, keep the converter in the transmission and not let the front of the trans hang down. Bought a piece of flat bar/angle iron that was wide enough to lay across the frame rails. Drilled a couple holes and bolted it to the front of the bellhousing. Your holes may not line up very well, I don't know, so, might need a couple vertical pieces going up or down to reach the bellhousing holes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRick4x4