MPG and drive modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition XLT Max. How does driving in different modes affect MPGs. What's the best mode for highway travel to maximize MPGs when normal driving? What mode when towing my trailer?

I sometimes tow a 1968 military M101A1 trailer (lightened by switching out original trailer axle and military tires - no trailer brakes). I feel lucky if I get 11-12 mpg when towing but wonder impact of different drive modes?

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TTBOMK, the Eco Mode simply upshifts the trans earlier but mine never starts from a stop in 2nd gear (which I thought it would) and maybe softens the throttle inputs. I do not think it has another fuel program leaning it out to get better MPGs.

Once you are on the highway in top gear, Eco mode makes no difference (but may be less inclined to downshift). Tow/Haul hangs on to gears longer, and offers more engine braking. Trying to manually shift this thing with the buttons is useless since it is not tactile.

YMMV.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get better mpg in eco and a lot less in sport. Simply because of the reason those modes are selected. It changes the ‘go’ pedal mapping so pushing the gas in sport mode is going to have a bigger throttle input than in eco.

you will get better mileage driving 55 than 70. As noted, at highway speeds, once you are in high gear, the mode generally won’t make much difference.

Craigga542

Reaction score
I didn’t notice any increase in MPG with eco mode, and I babied the throttle, etc. I keep it in normal now. Sport will definitely get worse MPG. Towing I would personally keep it in tow mode.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With these boosted engines, the best tool to maximize MPG is your right foot.

Use the boost to get up to speed quickly, then ease the throttle and continue driving off boost. Boost sucks more fuel to make power and cool the engine.

Boost is good though, makes you smile.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With these boosted engines, the best tool to maximize MPG is your right foot.

Use the boost to get up to speed quickly, then ease the throttle and continue driving off boost. Boost sucks more fuel to make power and cool the engine.

Boost is good though, makes you smile.

I think the eco/comfort mode literally turns off boost? Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is only anecdotal as I haven't run through different tanks on different modes and done the math, but....

Around town, I think I get much better gas mileage in Sport. This is 100% due to the fact that I like to drive fast. When I'm in Eco my "need for speed" just means I have to get much deeper in the throttle. In Sport, however, the throttle is much more responsive so I seem to give it less gas to get where I'm going.

On road trips I always use Eco because it's a better cruising configuration (less downshifting, seemingly better adaptive cruise behavior, etc.)

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive in Eco mode almost exclusively because I prefer getting into taller gears sooner rather than later and I drive like an old man anyway. However, while I like the shifting parameters in Eco mode, I really have not seen any discernible improvement in MPG. As mentioned earlier, Sport is a different story.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eco mode doesn’t work for me. I turn it off after one minute. I prefer to module throttle myself.