My Expy got sick and resulted in Auto ER Stay for 3 days.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobycane74

Reaction score
Well, my 01 Exp. EB 5.4L got ill last week upon a scheduled maintenance visit (which included oil change, transmission flush services). She started having the shakes and shivers upon acceleration and would shake on idle. Initially, I thought it was the injectors and/or transmission needing serviced (or worst case scenario - transmission going out)...but nope.

Thank goodness my mechanic is an honest, no BS guy and laid out the issues...... he thought before arrival, that the cat converter was bad and clogged, resulting in potential issues with it misfiring (per conversations).

But the end result was and had to replace the following:
  • #1 ignition coil and boots went bad
  • 4 spark plugs went bad - therefore replacement of all 8
  • Cylinder head temp sensor was bad
  • Intake manifold cracked and was disintegrating in a couple small places near the connection hook up pieces (FL heat in part as result)
  • Drive Belt was needing replaced due to dry rot

I suppose I was lucky in a sense...that it was not the CAT Converter system...otherwise, that would have been a large bill and more of a pain, potentially leading up to additional problems. For a 2001 5.4L EB, with 112K...... it was bound to have some stuff wearing out and needing replaced...it was just a little more than I anticipated happening all at once.