My Potato has a Coolant Leak from Unknown Regions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might have a combo of both. Were the heads redone before you bought your SUV? Valve guide seal failure is pretty rare. The only exception is when somebody reworks heads, or a reman engine. Stock Ford seals usually go the distance. Oil pooling is a sign of seal or worn guide. Either way when it cools down a little for you, and you have the time, your going to have to get dirty! Are you smoking on start up, especially when warm, after you let it sit an hour or more?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

It's all original - I would like for both symptoms to be related but I wouldn't be that lucky. Cylinder 1 has nothing but pure unadulterated oil that pools up over night. Here's an image from my other thread not so long ago:

age=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.ibb.co%2FfQDkbK%2Fpiston.png

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Open to correction, but if you are pressure testing at the rad cap neck, you are only pressurizing between the cap and the t-stat (?).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kinda true, but their is no access to the radiator itself. Brian, Don's right, pull the thermostat and pressurize at the tstat housing. That's how we did it on 4.6 Crown Vic's at my Cab company.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This one worked for me on my 2008. Not positive they are the same on the 06, but mine has that triple hose with the plastic tee also. Took me about ten minutes to get the hose out.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-271...8-1&keywords=ford+heater+hose+disconnect+tool

Some cheap folks just replace the tee with some plumbing part and hose clamps avoiding pulling the hose at the heater core. There are videos on YouTube of this hack if you really don't care too much about doing the job right.

Last edited:

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one worked for me on my 2008. Not positive they are the same on the 06, but mine has that triple hose with the plastic tee also. Took me about ten minutes to get the hose out.

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-271...8-1&keywords=ford+heater+hose+disconnect+tool

Some cheap folks just replace the tee with some plumbing part and hose clamps avoiding pulling the hose at the heater core. There are videos on YouTube of this hack if you really don't care too much about doing the job right.
Thanks!
Ok, I'm done hijacking BRIANGEE's thread :D

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay so I got home and smelled antifreeze and popped the hood. There was leakage which appears to be coming from the cap. The Reservoir which was previously full before my 45-minute trip was now empty. Inside the expansion chamber was a weird looking rubber bushing or something inside the tank itself. I pulled it out and it crumbled in my hands but here's a picture.

IMG_20180819_155019324.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea on what the heck that is?

Last edited:

blue oval guy

Reaction score
With leaks from the pipe in the valley it wouldnt be that severe as to leak a whole gallon in 10 days! The ones we have seen are just minor seepage and maybe light puddling in the block valley.