mystery transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when cold, barely throttled, driving up a slight incline when i pull onto the road out of my driveway taking my kid to school, mine seems to have trouble finding 4th -
or deciding whether to shift to 4th or 5th - & basically gasps & does nothing for a second or so -
like the throttle is completely choked - then shifts & keeps going.

does this EVERY morning when cold, whether in 2wd or 4wd, like clockwork.

doesn’t seem to be doing it now that it’s warmer outside.

of course the “dealer can’t replicate” so i await the time bomb that will likely happen when i’m in the wilderness 250 miles from any dealership.
Mine does the same thing even in warm weather. I think the key is the engine/transmission being cool and then accelerate to at least 40 mph within a minute of startup. It does it every time.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine does it at 15-20 mph, just creeping onto the 5% inclined road out of my driveway, BARELY on the throttle, after 3rd it can't seem to decide if it should go to 4th or 5th or it simply just gets stuck trying to put it in the next gear / confused. never happens between any other gears but always after 3rd, completely loses all power for a few seconds, then "finds it."

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that can repeat this issue, what would happen if you changed the driving mode? Say from Normal, to Tow, or Sport or Eco. Just curious if the "fuzzy logic" is somehow getting confused, and cant make up it's mind. Would changing the driving mode make the decision for it?

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that can repeat this issue, what would happen if you changed the driving mode? Say from Normal, to Tow, or Sport or Eco. Just curious if the "fuzzy logic" is somehow getting confused, and cant make up it's mind. Would changing the driving mode make the decision for it?
this is a great question - i’ve tried the 4wd/2wd toggle but next cold drive i’ll switch drive modes & see if it’s still there.

TheSpecialMan

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my '18 plat 2WD with the transmission hesitating and then slamming through 3rd/4th/5th and eventually got a powertrain malfunction alert. Vehicle has been at dealer over three months now, primarily because they couldn't get to it for the the first 2.5 months, but I've detailed all that in another thread about extreme service delays.
The tech finally got to it, replaced what they called the "transmission control assembly" along with a bracket, filter and some gaskets and they let me know today they are still getting the same error so the issue hasn't been fixed. Looking for ideas on what to tell them to look for now as it doesn't seem this dealership will figure it out on their own. I know I should just take it to another dealer, but I've at least got a loaner where I'm at and I called around and only one other in the area even has transmission techs and they are two weeks out from looking at anything with no loaners available.
To answer the previous question about switching driving mode, I did try that back when I had it and it didn't seem to help.