Name This Part (Picture Attached)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red92lx

Reaction score
Name This Part (Picture Attached) **Fixed Problem**

**See post lower in thread for solution.

So I'm trying to nail down the culprit of my driveline clunk. Happened when adding or removing a load on the drivetrain (other times as well). I found a nice flat spot and while doing some basic troubleshooting it seems this part is the problem. I don't however know what it's called.

Picture 1- shows one end of the part that attaches to the rear diff. When the diff flexes (by pushing it in park until it catches) this part that is attached moves with it.

Picture 2- This shows what I think is making the clunking sound. The other end attached to the body of the truck and when the part flexes I am assuming it bangs around since the rubber mount or whatever that is must be shot.

Any ideas what the hell this is? Is this related to the IRS?

Attachments

• DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0142.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a common area of clunks on the Expeditions and Navigators. It's the rear axle torque arm. Sometimes it's just the 4 bolts that are loose. But if you see it and hear it at the bushing end then the only way to fix it is to replace the whole torque arm. But start by checking that the 4 bolts are properly torqued tight.

-Mike

2012-01-19_000340_1.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red92lx

Reaction score
That's a common area of clunks on the Expeditions and Navigators. It's the rear axle torque arm. Sometimes it's just the 4 bolts that are loose. But if you see it and hear it at the bushing end then the only way to fix it is to replace the whole torque arm. But start by checking that the 4 bolts are properly torqued tight.

-Mike

2012-01-19_000340_1.gif

Thanks for the info Mike. With the info you gave I was able to pull a part number for the bushing (ford calls it an isolator). Hope I don't have to replaced the whole thing..... I saw a few prices for the whole assembly and OUCH.....$115+ for a little hunk of metal. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year? I know this is posted in the '03-06 forum, but they are different depending on the year. Example: 03 is all discontinued from Ford. '06 is all available.

Either way, only one bushing on the one end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red92lx

Reaction score
So I got under it today and found the bolt and nut on the torque bar going to the frame where pretty loose. I tighten them up and WHOA...it made it worse!! So them loosened it back up and took a closer look. The rubber isolator was pushed off to one side. I took a crow bar and got it centered again. then I took some wd-40, cleaned and tighten everything up. Took a test drive and it was 95% better. Still got a clunk, so back to the garage.

I saw the isolator stayed put (that's good) so I figured the only way this thing is making a clunk it from the metal on metal from the bolt. I found two rubber washers and put one on the head of the bolt and anther on the nut. Tightened it all back up and went back out for a test drive. Success, ZERO clunking. Wanted to post my results for the next guy. Thanks to those that helped me, it's surprising what you can do with a little correct info to get you started.