Nav unit not getting GPS position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Solution (for anyone that comes across this thread): make sure your ABS system works (fuse, sensors).
I had the GPS problem on two separate occasions and both times it was related to the ABS system.

Original thread below:
---------------------------------------------
Hey guys.

I haven't used the navigation in a month or so, but wanted to use it yesterday and noticed that it's not updating the GPS location. It seems to think that I'm always in my driveway.

This happened around the same time I removed the ABS fuse and plastidipped both bumpers and the tan trim all around. Could any of this be related to the issue? Is the sensor/antenna in the front bumper somewhere?

I have a 2004 eddie bauer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I really do not think there is anything that would affect that. All of that is in the dash, the GPS antenna does not go far from the unit and wiring for the sat antenna goes to the roof if you have that. Does your unit have master reset? Make sure you are not parked under live wires. Check connections in the unlikely event they came loose. Other than that it's a trouble shooting routine. Can you program it and move the truck and it will update location? Remove it's fuse and inspect and replace. It seems like if I remember right the unit in my 03 had a little black ball for an antenna on the dash. Have you tinted the windows with metallic film? Have you added an electrical device that could be causing that kind of interference? Send pic of unit face so I can reference a buddies repair book and maybe I can identify the make and model and series. If none of that works it might be repair time.

Is this an OEM or aftermarket unit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bertro

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the reply. It's the OEM unit that came with the truck. I do indeed have the small black ball in the center of the dash where it meets the windshield. I never thought that might be the GPS antenna. My windshield is not tinted and i don't have any high voltage wires nearby.
The gps signal never updates, not even when i start driving.

Could it be that I moved another fuse by mistake when I disconnected the ABS fuse? I'll open the fuse box tomorrow and press on every one of them to make sure they're seated properly.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly...or if u move he antenna its on or near something acting like a magnet...or...just broke

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is an odd one. What does the unit do if send it to a saved address? Or punch home? They are units are slightly different but do this... Go to the menu scroll down the menu to the place where it tells you your elevation and see if it changes when the truck moves. Also note how many satellites you are tracking at that time usually 5-9 at any given time. That will tell us if it is receiving a signal at all or the unit is hung up. You should also see around the same part of that menu a master reset. Save any addresses you need to and hit it and report back here with the results.
Be sure to note the model, build and whatever other numbers that are on that menu or near the same general area of that menu.
Send a pic of that unit so I can see it overall and also of the screen when it is trying to update. There may be a tell tale clue of what going on with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bertro

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, what do you know... I reconnected the ABS fuse yesterday and the darn GPS started working again.
It boggles my mind that the ABS fuse would be connected in any way to the GPS antenna, but it looks like it is... on my truck, at least.

So yeah, my truck's GPS unit is working again! Yay!!
Thanks again for all your help and sorry for not having replied over the past couple months. I kept wanting to take pics of the unit like you asked, but never got around to doing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bertro

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, since I had this issue again. There's definitely a connection between the ABS system and the GPS system. I had a bad ABS speed sensor (and wheel hub) last month and once again the GPS stopped getting a signal. Once I replaced the ABS sensor, the GPS started working properly again.