Need Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twitch0601

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Model with 5.4. It has had a check engine light on for quite some time and has also said to check the gas cap. but i have replaced it a few times with no luck.

Today the gas tank was at about a quarter and it started hesitating while just cruising and accelerating. Never done it before. I went and filled up the tank and it went away.

Any ideas. Im going to prolly take it to Ford but today they are closed.

Any help is Appreciated.

Thank You

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
being you had the check engine light on for some time
have you had the codes read and if so what were the codes

how many miles on the expy

OP
OP
T

Twitch0601

Reaction score
The miles are at about 135000. And when i dont remember what the code was last time i went. i tried to go to two places today to get it read and they said my plug was messed up.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
having the codes would help as I would be able to look the up in the service manual and give you information on what they mean and possible fixes for them

have you ever changed the fuel filter

OP
OP
T

Twitch0601

Reaction score
I will try to get the codes. i have only had it a little while. i havent changed the fuel filter. It just started doing this. Never had an issue even tho it said the fuel cap warning. But today it just started hesitating untill i filled the tank.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe u thought u had gas and didnt...thats what happens when ur out or about to be out of gas...roxy1225 got u with the codes

OP
OP
T

Twitch0601

Reaction score
Well i took it down to the Ford dealer and had a diagnostic ran on it. They said that the fuel pump ring that hold it in place is cracked and its needs that and a new gasket.

They said that the fuel pump looks ok but could be damaged.

So to replace the ring, gasket and pump it will cost $1000. But i found a fuel pump for $400. Is that something i could replace myself? i have lots of experience working on cars i just dont know if this is a very difficult fix or if it requires special tools...

Also the brand of the new fuel pump is Motorcraft. Is this an ok one to buy or should i pay the dealer??

Thank you for any input.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel Pump Module

Special Tool(s) 310-075
Wrench, Fuel Tank Lock Ring

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Do not smoke, carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and can be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

Remove the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Fuel Tank in this section.
Disconnect the quick release fittings from the fuel pump. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Using the special tool, remove the fuel pump lock ring.

CAUTION: Carefully remove the fuel pump assembly to avoid damaging the fuel level sensor.

Remove the fuel pump assembly.
CAUTION: Note the location of the fuel pump alignment tabs.

Remove the O-ring.

Remove the fuel level sensor. For additional information, refer to Fuel Level Sensor in this section.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

most on here would recommend the motorcraft fuel pump That is what the dealer would use.

I would say its not a difficult job and having the tank near empty would make it easier.
I just replaced the pump on my 01 and for me it was a day long project but I was working alone and also due to my age some things just take longer than when I was much younger.

am sending you a PM

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes...u can do it yourself...make sure u are near empty when u remove the tank...i changed mine and it was about 3hr job for us outside in 40 degree weather...