Need help please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2000 Expedtion 5.4 4x4 is having some issues. It is shifting really hard, the speedometer is bouncing all over the place when it works at all, overdrive turns off on its own and will not turn back on. The last time this happened and I got a code it was P0720 which comes back with the OSSS and I replaced that today hoping that was it, but no luck. I haven't been able to get in and have the code checked again. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Soo.. If not the sensor, maybe try checking the circuit? Otherwise... Have you checked your tranny fluid? Maybe do a flush, and change the filter?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, I have checked the tranny fluid and the flush and filter were the next step I wanted to try.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alrighty. A bunch of gunk and a clogged filter can cause a mess of problems. If it doesn't help, then your either looking at a problem within the circuit, or an internal tranny problem. Hopefully it's not the 2nd one. Rebuilds are not fun at all...

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Is the VSS the same as the OSSS or are those two different sensors? I just put a new OSSS in yesterday, today I changed the Tranny filter, it isn't shifting as hard but is still shifting harder than it should from first to second, a little smoother into third and smooth going into fourth.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
So the other day I replaced the OSSS then like two days ago I replaced the tranny filter and some tranny fluid, and today I changed the VSS, now it is shifting pretty good and has some power but the speedometer is still bouncing around, especially as I am slowing down. I also added som Bar's Leak when I added tranny fluid so that might explain the improvement in shifting but still stumped on the speedometer.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, my overdrive "off" light will come on once in a great while on its own and then I can feel the trans shifting harder than it should. I'll have to check those sensors you mentioned. So you dropped the pan and changed the filter? Was thinking of going to jiffy lube and having them do the trans fluid swap but it's like $100. And that doesn't even involve the filter change.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feel free to check out the F150 forums as well if you need more help. '97-'02 F-150's are virtually identical to expeditions. That will pretty much double your chances of finding what you're looking for!