Need someones help with a electrical connector.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I noticed my front passenger door lock quit working (again) so knowing the culprit to be the actuator, I pullled the door apart in search of the little POS mechanism. Turns out it isn't the actuator, but a broken wire going into the connector. I think it has been rubbing and catching on my window when it goes up and down.

Easy fix, splice it back together, and move the wires out of the way of the window right? I wish. The wire broke right at the connnector, with maybe an eighth of an inch of wire sticking out. Hardly enough to make a good connection. I know how to fix a lot of things, but I am a dummy with electrical sometimes. My question is , can I pull the little bit of wire out of the connector, and stuff the wire from the switch that I am trying to splice into the hole? or do i have to go buy a new connector with two fresh wires already coming out of it so I can splice it up to the old wires. Will it make enough of a connection inside, or are the wires soldered inside the connectors?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But right now, I feel kinda dumb....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well for some reason I can't attach a pic to this thread, but here is a link to a pic of the kind of connector I'm talking about. Like I said, the wire broke right at the entrance into the little white connector. The one on the actuator is fine, it's just the wire harness or whatever that comes from the switch that broke. I'm guessing I need to go buy a new connector tomorrrow, but I just thought I could pull the broken wire out, and stuff a longer easier to splice wire in. I did the best I could to get the lock working, but the connection is so feeble that whenever the wire moves a little from any movement of the window, the connection is pulled apart, and my door lock takes a shit again.

http://www.repairconnector.com/product_images/l/931/rc920x2__11352_thumb.jpg

keelklan

Reaction score
If you will take a very small blade screwdriver and insert it above the connector(between the plastic and the metal connector) and use needle nose plyersyou can pull out the connector from the plastic and either pry open the pinch parts or try to solder the wire to the metal connector!

You can also go to a salvage yard and cut one off and just splice all the wires back together, Make sure and get as much of the wire you can we cutting!

Good Luck

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Yea, what I was going to suggest. Try to take the pins out, and resolder the new wire in.

Or the salvage yard idea works as well :)

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks guys. I ended up pulling the little front part out and the back was just a real soft rubber part to just hold the wires in place. Then like you said, just crimped some new wire in there. I went to 2 different part shops, and then even resorted to going to the (ugh) dealer. None of them had the little connector, so I resorted to just pulling it apart and got er' done. I lengthened the wires and then duct taped them to the inside of the door to make sure they don't get wrecked by the window again.

Pretty easy once I figured out that little $#!@ing connector.

OP
OP
Lane24

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I went and re-read your post keelklan, and you know, I never even thought to check the junkyards... Good idea. The next city over from me has one. I just kinda panicked when the ( ugh ) dealership told me it was a non - replaceable part. Junk yard!!! I might just go pick up one anyway just in case my crimping job doesn't hold up. Thanks for the idea.!!

keelklan

Reaction score
Junkyards are way cool!

Stuff like the connector and the wiring you can get for a Buck!

I got a Complete Fuse panel and all the fuses and relays for $25 instead of the $350 from Ford! Just one small relay from Autozone was $10!

I bought a complete window regulator Motor and cable for my Chevy truck for $60, Dealer price $500 and I had to order it!