Never again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 200k on the truck so I added a quart of Lucas to the oil on the last change. Big mistake! The damn thing started knocking about a week ago until it warmed up. Changed the oil this morning to Castrol 5/30 full synthetic. No knocking.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Huh I'm curious as to why...? I run Lucas on every oil change and never experienced such a downfall

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 200k on the truck so I added a quart of Lucas to the oil on the last change. Big mistake! The damn thing started knocking about a week ago until it warmed up. Changed the oil this morning to Castrol 5/30 full synthetic. No knocking.
Probably knocking because bat Lucas is too thick to send through the cooling system cold. As it warms up it thins out then gets pumped easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh I'm curious as to why...? I run Lucas on every oil change and never experienced such a downfall

I'm thinking it's too thick for the cooler mornings. It could be a coincidence, but the knocking went away after the change. If the knocks return soon then I'll start troubleshooting.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's too thick for the cooler mornings. It could be a coincidence, but the knocking went away after the change. If the knocks return soon then I'll start troubleshooting.

BINGO! You've owned your truck and have been changing the oil for how many tens of thousands of miles.....then why on earth would you all of a sudden add some crap to your oil that has obviously been doing a great job? I know, because I did the SAME THING with the SAME RESULTS on my '99 at 180K because I thought "it would help it". IT DOESN'T...and I and you probably caused more wear in those couple of days (I immediately changed mine too) than had been worn down in the previous two years!

We make mistakes, we acknowledge them and we learn and move on...case closed!

jeff

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Hy-per lube, is a good product, if only a little is added. My Lincoln Intech 32v, revs extremely high on, cold start. I noticed a little ticking a few seconds after, starting. It uses about 1/2 quart every 1000mi. I used a about 1/3 of bottle and switched to a better filter. The noise is gone and oil use has dropped.

OP
OP
ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BINGO! You've owned your truck and have been changing the oil for how many tens of thousands of miles.....then why on earth would you all of a sudden add some crap to your oil that has obviously been doing a great job? I know, because I did the SAME THING with the SAME RESULTS on my '99 at 180K because I thought "it would help it". IT DOESN'T...and I and you probably caused more wear in those couple of days (I immediately changed mine too) than had been worn down in the previous two years!

We make mistakes, we acknowledge them and we learn and move on...case closed!

jeff

Yep...case closed...unless I come up with another idea while under the influence of Jack. :893karatesmiley-thu