New 03 Eddie Bauer build, just starting off, looking for tips/help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cb540

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer that I bought from a family member around 2 years ago. I'm 2nd owner. It's my DD but it's also my woods/hunting/camping vehicle, it's the whole reason I have it. From late march/early april through the first of january I'm in the woods with it about every other weekend sometimes more and it's shown me the vehicles capability and it's limitations.

I want to start doing some stuff to it to improve 'quality of life' so to speak as well as getting more functionality out of it while still looking good ofc. It's white with the gold trim, but I'm thinking of going white with black. I had a 2004 Mach 1 that was white with black trim and looked really good. I'm looking for some tips on brands, things to look out for, recommended mods, etc..

so far what I've come up with to fix or replace/add

-fix cd changer - jammed and shattered a CD inside

-fix rear AC vent - stupid clicking noise you all know and love

-fix/replace rear window motors (the large ones that open like a vent)

-replace stock running boards with step hoops or nerf bars - The stock ones suck IMO. They hold snow and ice bad and i'm constantly slipping on the plastic surface. They hold water and mud pretty bad too when the creeks are up where I camp.

-brush guard - I've already scuffed up the front bumper a bit

-wheels/tires - possible 2-3in lift and some good ol 35's

-winch - maybe get a whole new bumper instead of just a winch mount. I like the all-in-one brush guard and winch bumpers but I know they are also on the upper end of the price range

I'm not too worried about engine mods at the moment. It's already got a custom fitted exhaust system from Bassani. They sent one that didn't fit, the family member I bought it from just happened to be going to CA at the time with it for a trip and stopped by their shop to custom fit it circa 2003/4. Still sounds good today.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On your rear wing window motors, I give mine a light tap right at the arm that makes it swing out. It's seeming to still work. Unlike the ones in the doors, that seems to work for quite awhile. Bedrck just posted how to fix the stripped gears on the heater vent. It was for a second gen, but should apply to yours I think. The cd changers are pretty durable, you can get a used one all day long on Ebay if you can't fix yours. Or just snag on at pick and pull wreckers. I sure hope your carrying a jumper box along with a lot of tools, when your in the backwoods. Getting towed home from there ain't never cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cb540

Reaction score
On your rear wing window motors, I give mine a light tap right at the arm that makes it swing out. It's seeming to still work. Unlike the ones in the doors, that seems to work for quite awhile. Bedrck just posted how to fix the stripped gears on the heater vent. It was for a second gen, but should apply to yours I think. The cd changers are pretty durable, you can get a used one all day long on Ebay if you can't fix yours. Or just snag on at pick and pull wreckers. I sure hope your carrying a jumper box along with a lot of tools, when your in the backwoods. Getting towed home from there ain't never cheap.

Thanks for the tip on the widow motor, i'll also go check out that fix on the vent.

I do keep a toolkit with me with wrenches and ratchets as well as jumper cables, no box though, I should probably get one. I also have plastic storage crate in the back that's filled with general woods/survival/camping stuff.. At any given time I could live out of my expedition for several days and be fine ;)

I rarely go out in the woods alone for that reason though, getting stuck by myself. My usual camping spot is minimum 5 mile walk to the nearest house.. While my hound dog might enjoy the walk, I sure as hell wouldn't lol

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A quality jumper box, or extra battery, I've always kept with me. I don't 4 wheel, but I like to listen to the stereo on accessory position, for lengths of time. This time of year is tough on batteries, especially if you live in a colder climate. The Bay Area is one of the few places that doesn't get too cold, especially San Francisco. Just another item to consider for your off road trips. I bought a heavy duty one from Oreillys for $230.00, it's been pretty good so far.